Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brighter Headlights

michaeljclark

As far as I'm concerned the Headlights on the 7 are not the brightest in the world, (bit like the driver really *wink* infact I recon their worse than the tin top (Jag X-Type - which is known for having poor illumination capabilities)

So what the the POBC who have upgraded theirs run? I did a search (probably badly) and didn't find anything useful. Dunno if it matters but I have the 5 3/4 " lights.

Mike

07 Plated RoadSport SV 150 in Red with Black nose band and stripe

You could start with upgrading to +50% or +80% brighter bulbs. The Halfords Super Brilliance +50% are good, and are often sold on a 2 for 1 price offer (BOGOF).

Forget the Halfords Extreme Brilliance bulbs .... IME they are very fragile and don't last many weeks, even in a tin top.

edit .... wherever you shop ..... you want H4 type by the way.

Edit again ... here is Powerbulbs H4 page. Beware of the 'not road legal' bulbs !!

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 5 Aug 2010 15:32:52

I bought Philips Xtreme (+80%) from an ebay seller along with free bright BlueVision sidelight bulbs.

Now the sidelights are a crisp white instead of looking like a pair of candle driven coach lamps and the headlights are really excellent. I am very pleased indeed.

One headlamp has just blown on the Golf and I have gone back to the same seller for a set of Xtreme dips and the Osram +90% mains. Also added 2 new indicator bulbs because, unlike the 7, it is a bumper off job so I am renewing all 6 at once!

Anyway, hereis what I bought and I think you will be delighted for £18. They post first class on the day of order usually.

I have no connection with the seller etc!

Edit for spelling and to say that I also have the smaller headlights.

Edited by - Tangerine Dream on 5 Aug 2010 15:11:41

Thanks all, I shall get some of the Philips Xtremes

May also get a set for the X-Type, thou you need very very small hands to get to the headlight holders as owners of X-Types will confirm

Mike

07 Plated RoadSport SV 150 in Red with Black nose band and stripe

I fitted the Phillips Xtreme bulbs to my standard headlight units and was very impressed.

A word of caution though, I then went and bought a pair for our Vectra and they were dreadful - the relfector is not well designed on the car and gives an uneven illumination. This is exaggerated by the brighter bulbs resulting in bright 'flare' spots and dark patches - very distracting.

Edited by - gin-fizz-whizz on 6 Aug 2010 09:20:08

Been there done that on both the Seven and the XType.

Upgraded the headlight on the Seven to a set of 5.75" items from SVC from 5 years ago along with their supplied "uprated" bulbs. Excellent night time vision. So if simply upgrading bulbs doesn't work for you I would stronlgy recommend this route.

On the XType my problem was that the stupid little plastic adjusters had crumbled with age preventing proper alignment. Even with the best bulbs I could find they were carp. So instead of buying two new headlight units I sold the car. Apart from that it was a very nice and reliable motor for the time I had it.

Steve.

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear who recommends

Puddle Pet Care