Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Back ache

Shad

I seem to be developing a bit of back ache from driving the 7. I think it's because I don't sit upright in the seat (leather type-s, nice and comfy), I tend to slide/squat down so my eyes are just above the tip of the aeroscreen (which is where I want to be ideally).

Has anyone else found this, and maybe had some success with using a lowered floor and sitting more upright? If I can keep the seat, sit upright and still be nice and low in the car, that would be a win all round I think.

Closing thought - can a type-s seat be bolted straight to the floor, without the runners?

Simon

niknak.org

Lowered floor works a treat - but it takes a while to get used to the new sight line over the n/s front wheel, the rear offside of the cockpit hitting your shoulder and different positions for the arms and feet in general.

If S-type is the current type - no. If you look, the bottom of the seat squab is shaped to fit between them and is only just off the floor, as evidenced by the small stones it drags along as you slide it back and forward.

Bri

I haven't actually got a seven yet, but......

When I test drove a seven with the leather seats they gave me instant back ache. For me, there was no lumbar support at all. As Petrohead suggested, I would try using something as lumbar support. I hope you manage to get round this :)

For my back the composite seats seemed much better, but as I haven't sat in them for more than a few minutes I'm keeping my fingers crossed they turn out OK.

I suffered a damaged back in a serious crash 20 years ago when my stationary car was hit from behind by a fast moving lorry and rammed into the car in front. Since then my back has been very sensitive to my sitting position. Before I bought my Seven, I tried out 10 or more different cars and couldn't get comfortable.

But LE0, with cloth seats (had leather in the previous one), has been supremely comfortable, providing I sit solidly against the seat back, then it provides all the support I need.

However, I've twice suffered backache in the Seven, and each time it was because the seatback had broken - it's not obvious, unless you can hear/feel it give as you sit in it. Don't know how old your seats are, but it might be worth a check.

LEO 3eggs

Another Slightly Vider SeVen

Edited by - Anton on 16 Jun 2010 02:52:30

Thanks for the feedback. I'd forgotten that the seat squab sits on the deck. I'll see if I can fashion some kind of lumbar cushion device and see if that helps. I like the padding of the seat and the fact I can take the headrest out when wearing a helmet, so my head isn't pushed forward by the seat.

Quite nervous about committing to either a lowered floor or a tillet since I think both, as mentioned above, will take some getting used to.

Simon

niknak.org

Quite nervous about committing to either a lowered floor or a tillet since I think both, as mentioned above, will take some getting used to.

Don't commit to anything without being sure it will work. Everyone is different and will find different seats more or less comfy. I HATE Tillets personally . . . but like S-types. The best seat for me is an HM shell (from an old VX race car) with a couple of bits of HD foam taped onto it. I could sit in it for days *smile*

Anton, that sounds very much like the accident my Dad was in - you weren't rammed into a red Citroen were you?

Simon, I promise you will like the tilletts *cool* I also tried out a variety of seats when buying my 7, and the tillett was by far and away the most supportive. It doesn't really let you slump though, but it will sit you lower straight away.

John

myothercarsa2cv

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 😬

Talloulah '08 1.6K Classic

I've found that the current seats do not support my lumbar at all, but I stripped the cover off and built in some foam lumbar and stretched the cover back over it so that it looks standard, worked a treat, no more back ache. Latterly I changed to a grp tillet, and had a local upholsterer make up a leather seat cover with thin foam throughout, but more in the lumbar. I don't know what it is about current CC seats, but they just do not have any lumbar support. Those with good backs will not notice, but those of us with back problems will instantly suffer.

Anyone know a good sports masseur or physio? *rolleyes* 😔

The other option to getting a lower eyeline is to recline the seat by packing up the front by anything up to an inch or more, which lowers your head, but will give you a less straight leg position. Worth a try and if it doesn't work, there is nothing permanent to put up with.

Paul J.

Edited by - Paul Jacobs on 16 Jun 2010 16:54:55

John - the accident happened in 1985 on the old A20 on the way to Folkestone - I don't think the car in front was red - my memory says black. Mine was a Mk1Astra and it was shortened by about two feet - I ended up on the other side of the road, facing the way I'd come and wondering what the hell had happened!

Hope your Dad was alright? I was lucky, driver of the car in front of me wasn't: he suffered severe neck and back injuries as he had turned round to talk to a backseat passenger at the moment of impact. Three cars in front of me (and mine!) were written off, three others were damaged..............

Simon - apologies for the hi-jack

LEO 3eggs

Another Slightly Vider SeVen

Nope wasn't Dad then! His was in 1990-1 I believe. His Citroen was about 2 yards long by the time the lorry driver had finished with it, a few others involved too. Dad escaped lightly, whiplash and bad back ache, and a fiesta courtesy car!!!

HIjack over... Sorry Simon *wavey*

Tilletts... I've not had any issues with these yet, but I like the sound of the upholstered ones with a bit of extra foam in the right places - Paul, any pics? *thumbup*

John

myothercarsa2cv

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 😬

Talloulah '08 1.6K Classic

We're all different! I have a shot lower disc but find the tillet supports me perfectly. I keep meaning to try Paul's trick though as I am only low enough when wearing a shirt ... add a coat and I feel too high!

==================================

R400SV in orange - so far unmodified!

I have the leather S-Type seats and my "internal" sections of the seat are separate and held to the seat body by strong velcro. This means they can be removed and re-positioned therefore I found that I could adjust the section which is the lumbar one to suit me and give excellent support *cool*

Maybe some of you have seats like mine and never realised that the inner sections could be removed......it took me about 2 years to notice 😳

Neil Wilson

Garfield - M100 EOW - Yellow/Green 1.4K SS

I just bought a 2004 R300 with Tilletts fitted and the first job was to change them to Leather adjustable, similar to my old 7. I have a very bad back, due to a slipped disc on the Sciatic nerve and off work for too long last year.

So I picked up the car with the Tilletts and have since driven if for probably 10 hours with no pain or discomfort, much to my surprise. Canterbury to Goodwood and back on the same day last Saturday. So the conversion to leather is off at the moment. Try the Tilletts, they give you very good support.

Thanks for the continued input *smile*

I've got a Tillet to try now but it looks like I need to get some different runners since my s-type runners have rivnuts in them. Could remove them, but then they wouldn't fit my s-type seat.

I did put it in the car though to get an idea. Looks like I'll be positioned much lower and can sit with a much better posture, which is very encouraging.

Simon

niknak.org

I find everyone looks at them and asks if they are not uncomfortable, then express surprise when actually in them; there is a sort of feel of a "wrap around you" effect. . It amazes me how large a body can be wedged in! (not being an SV).

Anthony

Many thanks to simonpa for the loan of a Tillet and some runners. I did about 40 miles in it yesterday. The jury's still out... woke up this morning with a bruise around the top of my pelvis, much like I get if I go karting. I don't have much erm, 'natural padding', shall we say *redface* 😬

Quite surprised how much lower the seating position is, and I can sit slightly further back now my legs are straighter. So that's good. Got the Poole trip on Friday which will be the big test.

Simon

niknak.org