Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Removing fog and reverse lights

Mankee

Had a quick look today at removing the fog and reverse lights but I couldn't really see what's going on. If I have to remove the boot floor to get at the fixings, then I may well leave them in place!

Have had a search and found this thread which says that I don't necessarily need to remove the boot floor. I couldn't feel any nuts behind the boo skin, nor bolt/screw heads when the lense and bulb holders were removed.

Can anyone shed any light? No pun intended. *redface*

You shouldnt need to remove the bootfloor and tank. The lights should be held in with screws going into rivnuts. Take off the lens and bulb and prise out the silver reflector and you should see some screws. Be careful not to break the plastic - it is quite brittle.

However the cable is integral to the light unit, and getting at the plug on the end behind the rear skin can be tricky. There is some slack in the cable, enough for the unit to dangle free. That may be enough for what you need.

Angus

The boot floor can be remove, if it is the same as my csr but, it is a little messy. Take up the boot carpet, it is glued down, If you get some brake cleaner spray this helps to clean the glue off. Once the carpet is up you will see a foam sound proofing on the boot floor that is glued down to the front part of the floor. You will notice the floor at the rear has a large section made of aluminium laminated sheet. On the edge forward most under the edge of the foam is 3 off screws that secure an 'L' shaped strip that holds the floor in place. Remove them and then the 2 off screws against the rear of the car and the boot floor can be removed. Be careful it is a very tight fit and take some accurate positioning to get it out. I have modified my boot floor so the hole floor can be removed quickly. All the rivets have been replace with rivnuts.

On the left and right side of the tank is the rear light loom connections. again it is tight to get to but not impossible.

AJDuffield

Don't forget you need the fog light for the MOT - I'm sure you''ll see that's it essential to have one to turn on the next time visibility falls below a mile and then leave switched on for a month afterwards *mad*

I removed mine from underneath but I can't remember the details. It wasn't difficult though.

My car is track-only and won't ever be put on the road, so I'm taking to remove as much stuff from it as possible, hence, no need for fog or reverse lights any more. 😬

As I say, I couldn't see any screw heads when I removed the lense, bulb and reflector the other day. Will have another look soon. Thanks!

If you are taking as much off as possible then why not take out the boot floor as well 😬

They maybe held on with nyloc nuts, so plenty of lubrication to clean the threads and a spanner down the back may be needed if the older type.

Jonathan

My Flickr

-----------------------------------

The rebuild has started :)

92 Supersprint, Ford LSD LA, RK AX Crossflow.

Ditto James

I had to remove the fuel tank to get at the nuts to undo them. Fitted rivnuts in the back panel though plastic light casings needed some fettleing as the hex bolts were held captive in the plastic - not a problem if you're only removing.

Apparently they used to be customer fit items with self tappers but there were several holed fuel tanks from drilling the pilot holes *eek*

Ian