Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Emerald - PC can't see ECU

Solo

Probably a numpty question.....

It's MOT time again so I was planning to remind myself what I need to do to coax the car through the emissions. My laptop has been rebuilt since last year, so I've loaded up the Emerald software plus the USB adptor - using the same CDs as before. When I hook up the laptop to the ECU I just get errors messages saying there's no ECU connected. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software, restarting the laptop, different USB ports on the laptop, and obviously I've checked all the connections a few times *mad*. Any suggestions?

Oh, and if this could be in any way related, the engine has just been out for a gearbox rebuild....

Cheers

Steve

Silly thought on this, if it is a USB to serial adaptor, the software can call the serial port No something really daft, like com port 27 or something.

I expect the emerald software is looking for com port 1.

It may be worth having a look to see if the com port No of the serial adaptor is correct.

Doug

Okay, I've had another go this evening...

Scenario 1 - Emerald loaded, cable connected. Power up the ECU and the blue lights flash on the connector. Click refresh on the 'select port' option and the blue lights flash again, with 'COM3' being the only port found. Click 'OK' but there is then no connection to the ECU. When I look under My Computer nothing is listed for the ECU, etc.

Scenario 2 - power up ECU first and then plug in the USB. I then get an 'ATI CATALYST ® Control Center' menu pop up and it flashes all over the place. The mouse doesn't work so I can't cancel it *confused*

So, does this mean there's something wrong with my laptop? Is there anything else I should be doing to check?

I don't have a spare laptop so I can't readily check to rule out this option. (Is there anyone on here close to Colchester who's got a laptop with Emerald on I could check?)

Thanks

Steve

Hi Solo

Not sure if it would help but i have just installed a new emerald after engine upgrade and was having exactly as you describe in 2 scenarios. after many hours of settings, drivers and even a new usb to serial converter, i found that i had the incorrect version of the emerald software installed, if you give emerald a ring they should be able to let you know what version of software you need for yours

hope this helps

Mark

I had exactly the same problem as Mark-G but from reading your initial post, it sounds like you've had it working in the past, albeit with a slightly different laptop spec. As mentioned, it's something to do with the drivers (built-in or otherwise) messing about as my touchpad went a bit mad when I was initially trying to hook up my Emerald!

If you are still really stuck, drop me a line as I'm only up in Ipswich and have the Emerald K3 software on my laptop. My USB/serial adaptor is 25 miles up the A12 though, but I don't mind experimenting with your adaptor to see if we can get it to work. *smile*

Thanks guys.

Got a friend (who is rather more computer savy than me) to take a look this morning and we've got it working. Clearly something was different when the laptop was rebuilt. Now just need to remind myself what to do at the MOT centre....

Cheers

Steve