Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series tick/knock under acceleration

AndyG

Hi

I have a DVA K05 which is approx 200bhp, it has started making a loud tick/knock noise but only under acceleration. The dry sump belt broke at SPA last year and damaged the belt plastic housing cover. I cannot see that this is now fouling a belt, but that is the sort of noise i am getting.

Oil pressure fine, compression test fine, still bucket loads of power. S o i am carrying on as usual 😬

Any ideas asto what the problem maybe?

Tantrum the Original

You really need to do a lot more diagnosis.

When EXACTLY does it tick/knock?

- In neutral, as engine speed increases?

- In gear, gear as engine speed increases?

Is the tick/knock speed relative to road-speed or engine speed or neither?

Is the tick/knock only there under engine acceleration or is it there at idle too? Is it present as the engine slows down, or is it there if you knock the car into neutral and then slow down. Is it present under braking? - edited to say - ah ok - ONLY under acceleration, as you state above.

If you put the back of the car up on stands and rotate the propshaft can you reproduce the knock?

etc...

back here because I want to be.

Edited by - charlie_pank on 23 Mar 2010 11:10:07

I've had a similar sounding ticking noise from my K-series and have been told that it's likely to be the manifold gasket (I don't want it to be anything else more expensive...please).

My questions...is the manifold gasket the same as the standard K-series one as fitted to a Lotus Elise? I have a Lotus dealer just down the road and could get one from there if they are the same... My car is a 1.9K with the modified big valve VVC head.

cheers Andy

I am Leg End...