Click here if you are having website access problems ×

megajolt

randybugger

This might be a stupid question

I have just fitted a second hand megajolt system to my crossflow

It started and ticks over smoothly but is running rich, and doesn't pick up as well as it used to

the map installed is for a similar engine to mine but not the same and I know I've got to get it sorted properly but my question is

I understand the EDIS will go into limp home mode if the megajolt isn't working,so is there a way of knowing things are actually working without plugging it into a laptop? (I haven't got a laptop so can't plug it in to anything until I can borrow one later next week)

And who's the best person to take it to to get mapped?

I'm in north Kent

Tony

Tony,

Do you have a timing light (strobe), if so you can see it advancing...

I would check the crank sensor position and all the wiring/plugs. You really need the laptop plugged in to see if it is reading the signals ok and shifting map locations.

There are a few maps around, I have some I can send you. Maybe we should set up a repository somewhere. Also check the autosportlabs web site foruem for other maps and guidance.

It does sound like your system is not working.

Good luck.

Jonathan

My Flickr

-----------------------------------

The rebuild has started :)

92 Supersprint, Ford LSD LA, RK AX Crossflow.

I'm pretty sure mine was running rich post-Megajolt and the carbs were adjusted accordingly. My basic understanding is that the car has to run rich at idle on a dizzy to prevent stalling with very low advance at idle speeds. With the megajolt you can set the advance however you like at idle and consequently can turn the mixture down.

Feel free to strike me down in flames, this may be nonsense - just a basic recollection.

Jon

1994 1.7 Supersprint De-dion X-Flow. Yellow with black cycle wings - Now with Megajolt !

Thanks for pointers, tried a strobe and there is no change to advance, pulled megajolt connector out and no change to running ☹️

delved deeper into the wiring that was supplied with the unit and nothing seems to match up with the diagrams on the autosportlab website so not sure that it could ever have worked *confused*

the board is a V3 so I assume the wiring for the plug should match the V3 diagram

Tony

Tony,

Jon at 7 Indulgence (near Meopham, Kent) has done several of these and sounds very confident about them. I plan to have him fit mine and their service is fantastic, with very reasonable prices *thumbup*.

Might be worth getting them to sort it for you.

Bob Stark

Supersprinter

Be careful - I think the MJ plug may have changed between the V3 & V4 models. I got confused by some odd wiring shown on another site before I realised the MJ plug they showed had two less connectors.

The V4 with 16 pins is here

The V3 with 14 pins is here

Diagrams are some way down both pages.

Just waiting for my trigger whell back and hopefully I can get mine running this weekend. Good luck with yours!

Thanks Griff

the wiring diagram I am using is this one which is similar to the 14 pin one in your link. The one that came with the unit (which does not work) is nothing like it. Good luck with yours

And thanks Bob, hopefully can get it sorted but its good to know there is someone to take it to if all else fails.

So far I have fitted new geargox (BGH long first) painted chassis etc, fitted new bushes to front suspension, rear discs and countless other jobs while its been off the road and I dont want to be beaten when the end is in sight 😬