Click here if you are having website access problems ×

x flow valve stem oil seals

Baz

I am currently giving my 1700 ss cylinder head a decoke. It is fitted with double valve springs. The problem I have is that the new stem seals (supplied by Redline) do not grip the valve guides. I have read that one engine builder glues them on! Could I get away without fitting them (slight increase in oil consumption) or is there another way? *confused*

Could I get away without fitting them

Yes . . . X/F race engines often don't have them.

As long as your valves are tight in the guides, I should think you'll be fine. The extra oil consumption will be too small to notice.

Edited by - Epimetheus on 1 Feb 2010 13:22:44

Baz,

Don't leave them out, even race engines use them in this day and age, oil usage goes up and you will often get oil smoke on start up and on reaplication of power after overrun.

As for what to use it depends on who modified the head/guides but Mk1 fiesta oil seals work well, to ID them they are green with a metal outer sleeve, they are a tight push fit over the guide and don't move (Some may vary due to differences in who modified your head initially).

Cheers

Chris

My engine doesn't have stem seals...you would barely know except for a little puff at startup.

In my Mini days it was generally worn guides or stems that caused the smoke - on the intake stroke there's a vacuum that sucks down the oil, which is why smoke is sometimes worse on the overrun when vacuum is greater. Smoking under power is more likely piston rings.

• 1 month later...