Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New Build

Garth

Hey Garth why dont you come down to Llandow with your son on the 20th of March and speak to a load of like minded 7 junkies, get a few tips, blag a few rides and get inspired for the build and the blatting season ahead

See the Llandow pre season track day thread in Chit Chat

*thumbup*

Mad Hatter Racing - Feel The Duralight R Torque 😬 Carl Van Baars *thumbup*

@Mark

No problems with flex, the long members are used fat axis vertical and the longest unsupported length is less than a meter. I was happy to find that the lowered floors rest gently on the spars.

I got the lift off ebay, but there was talk of a bulk buy in the BB forum on here. I don't know what happened there.

Martyn

R300GRR SV build in progress

I second johnnyh's recommendation about a tap and die set - I bought an imperial set and think I'm going to need a metric set now.

But yes, clean out all the threads of any powdercoat or other associated crud. I used some lard to lubricate the tap and started it with my fingers only to ensure that it had found the existing thread (rather than tapping a new one!). Then copper grease on the threads makes for a nice fit. A bit more time consuming so you need to resist the temptation to simply whack the bolts straight in, bit very worthwhile.

Garth

Dug out some pictures of my old build here -> http://www.octimer.com/pictures/caterham/ (including obligatory photos of being an idiot with the steering wheel).

When your kit arrives you should set about finding the steering wheel straightaway so that you can play at being a racing driver in the garden, at the dinner table, in bed etc...)

Edited to make the link clickable

Edited by - spiderlane on 16 Jan 2010 17:13:33

*cool*Rattie very kindly showed me his build this last weekend - it was very impressive and they have got a fantastic setup *thumbup*.

The sissors lift is a real plus.I have spent far to long on the net trying to find one for hire or a second hand one to buy! Any ideas would be welcome!

Am self employed but since I have started on Blatchat I am struggling to concentrate on work and have spent most of my time looking at build diaries (you guys have put me in touch with!) and starting to get myself organised for the build! Will not pay the bills sadly *thumbdown*

atlast

interesting reading/tips gentlemen. My blue Roadsport 125 SV arrives in boxes on 15th March and I still have quite a bit of tool shopping to do. Very excited! I'm in Cardiff now so will try to get to Llandow to finally meet some of you guys and plague you with my first build problem related questions. 😬

• 1 month later...

I'm resurrecting this thread just to add some details of our lifting setup in case it's useful to others in the future. In the end we bought the exact same lift as Martyn (from the link Garth added) and made up a similar sled to bear the chassis.

Since our car does not have the lowered floors, the underside is slightly different as the floor strengthening U channels run all the way to the back of the seat bulkhead chassis rail so I needed to make some cutouts in the rear cross member to accommodate these.

The end result can be seen here

If anyone needs the dimensions of the timber sled then just let me know.

Cheers

Mark