Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What finish for my stripped bare carbon!

mc1

After plucking up courage to attack my painted nosecone and wings with Nitromors 😳 i've now got a original matt carbon gel coat finish to deal with.

The Nitromors seems to have left the gel coat well alone so i think my options are to have the items clear coated or maybe polish the gel coat with a coloured polish and then wax?

I would Armourfend the nosecone if having them clear coated but would i need to do the same for the gel coat or is the finish hard enough?

Any thoughts on this much appreciated,oh and the carbon is 1998 vintage SLR.

Thanks Mark. *smile*

You don't have gelcoat. Your carbon should be laid up with epoxy resin, and as such, has no UV resistence. Have it clearcoated. There is a clearcoat which stays slightly soft. It doesn't chip so easy. Ask your local friendly car painter about it, he'll probably be familiar with the product.

I have had my c/f front and rear wings professionally clear-coated with clear lacquer, and they take on a glossy 3-dimensional look that is really nice.

However, my dash is also c/f and of course was not clear-coated by CC before the gauges and switches were installed. It would be a real pain to remove all the dash hardware to clear-coat, at this stage.

Is there a protective wax or polish that can be applied, that will not leave a white residue in all the c/f pores, etc.?

Alaskossie