Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Roadsport 125-150 Power Kit

Blacken

I'm considering boosting my Roadsport 125 Sigma up to the full 150 via the conversion offered by Caterham. I would be getting the factory to perform the job but I was wondering if anyone out there has already had this performance mod done?

How did it affect the character of your car and what are the pros and cons?

My Roadsport is pretty standard i.e. 5 speed, ZV3s etc. I use it for touring and the odd blat (aren't they all?).

I would appreciate any guidance. *wavey*

I changed from ZV3's to Yoko AO48's (they don't do CR500's in 14 inch wheels) - it was one of the best upgrades I had - the other thing worth doing (if you haven't done already) is to get the car flat floored and the suspension set up properly. Again this transformed the handling of my car.

Blacken,

I had the conversion carried out after talking to James at Dartford. My car was the first one to be done, the update wasn't offered at that time and I suggested to James that if they did mine and used it as a guinea pig to get their pricing right it could then, perhaps, be offered to anyone else. But to answer your question I'm absolutely thrilled with mine, the extra BHP make a huge difference I always thought the 125 was a bit underwhelming. When I first had it done there were problems with the 150 with uneven running etc which I'm sure you must have read about, or could do, if you look through the archives, but that as now been sorted and she runs as sweet as a nut.

I don't know what the present cost is and I'm sure there are people out there who would be cheaper but you have to weigh that against your book being stamped as a official Caterham update which would make a difference if you come to sell and also the CC guarantee. But if your'e happy with the price I would say go ahead I'm sure you won't regret it.

Peter

Speaking from experience (ooops *eek* *rolleyes* *redface*) ditch the tyres in favour of some stickier rubber such as Yoko AO21's *thumbup* *thumbup*

Have a look at the minister engines website as they do (or did) a 160hp upgrade for the 125 sigma that is probably better sorted than the caterham one & may even be cheaper as well *thumbup*

I had the '160' Minister upgrade to my 125 but it only produced 130hp (by their measurements) and they have been unable to come up with a solution to hit the promised performance.

It did improve things from the starting point (circa 100-109hp for Sigma 125s out of the box, again by their measurements) but a ways from where I'd like it to be!

John

The upper end of 100-109 was what 'normal' 125s were making. (Mine was towards the lower end ☹️ 102 to be specific)

Measurements differ on different dyno-kit of course, but these were all numbers that Minister was measuring on their own kit.

I've heard that people that race 7'sin the academy etc say that the stock sigma doesn't have the top end of the k series. I really like my 125 & think that it's a rugged & torquey engine. I don't plan to waste money upgrading the car or engine but in the (very) long term would like to upgrade to 175 duratec 7 🥰

Hi Guys,

I do appreciate all the input. *thumbup* *smokin*

I spoke to Dom @ Caterham about the upgrade and he said that if I wanted more of a linear improvement ( i.e. for overtaking)then the power kit was the way forward.

If I wanted to improve the cornering and general handling he recommended the move to 15" wheels with CR500 tyres plus the wider front track suspension upgrade. I gather with the CR500s, they do need warming up to get the best out of them gripwise.

I took part in the "7 Wonders of Wales" blat in August and at times my car seemed to struggle to keep up with other Sevens particularly on the radical overtaking front.

Given that I don't do track days and I'm now on a 6K limited mileage, what is the durability of the CR500s compared with the current ZV3 tyres?

I am still using the original set (18 months use) and they are in fine fettle - current mileage 6700 approx. 🤔