Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wing mirror on stalks

fred_gustafsson

If you mean the sort of Triangulated arrangement that makes the mirror quite high up then it's the current EU4 regulation arrangement that all new 7's have to have, I know 'cos I asked Dom at CC whilst I was there last weekend.

The exhaust also has to be under the car with a box across the rear (the R300 I was looking at had twin pipes from the box)

Like these HERE - If you have an SV / CSR though make sure you get the convex ones as the flat ones do not give you the field of vision needed on the passenger side - NS in my case with RHD car

They are good - But as you say you cannot open the door fully and rest it on the bonnet

Edited by - Billyboy on 17 Nov 2009 13:57:14

I started with the standard CC mirrors on the door, then went to Racetech ones mounted on the screen, very good but kept getting knocked when people open the doors. So gone to Racetech ones on L shaped stalks mounted on the door.

Mount is just far enough back so you can open the doors as normal but close enough to the door hinge that they are fairly stable. Not as good as being mounted on the screen but way better than the standard.

I would agree that as they are small you need convex not flat. If you BM me I can send a picture, dont have one I can send you a link for.

Alan

• Leadership Team

I've used stantion mounted SPA mirrors for years and definately more stable than the CC mirrors on the doors. However ....... is the vibration of the CC mirrors down to their lack of aerodynamics 🤔 My doors are completely undrilled but it is tempting to try door mirrors again, firstly to be able to open the doors fully, and also to prevent the problem of every damned passenger disturbing the mirror *mad*

Stu.

Joint Area Representative MAD Sevens (Merseyside And District)

www.superse7ens.co.uk..........the rebuild 😬

Stu - don't think the vibration is such a problem, just that the view's not good.

My mirrors are standard, I can see a reasonable, if rather small area in the driver's side mirror, but the passenger's side one is completely useless. Though the fact that I am a bit on the short side (a match for Colin chapman!) and drive an SV may mean it is perhaps badly positioned as I have my seat about three inches forward of the rear bulkhead. I'd hate to try driving it abroad!

LEO 3eggs

Another Slightly Vider SeVen

Hi Fred.. see my photos below of mirrors mounted directly onto the scuttle. they do clear windscreens as well and never vibrate! Last 2 photos are revised positioning on the top surface. The mirrors worked loose eventually in the lower position! Andy

Check out Hal... http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/dalongbloke

Edited by - dalongbloke on 19 Nov 2009 08:17:13

Mine came with the stanchion mounted mirrors as standard (I think they have to be fixed to screen for SVA (if you have a screen)); I thought they were useless. I kept getting reflection of the dash on the door windows at exactly the place the mirror was. I guess it depends where your eyeline is, but I could see nothing most of the time. Also, when your passenger gets out they invariably push the door against the mirror, putting it out - total shag to sort it again... 😔

I changed it to the door mounted mirrors (the holes are drill in the metal spar so you just have to go through the plastic); they do vibrate a bit but I see as much as I feel I need to.

• Leadership Team

There is another problem with the SPA mirrors ..... the general assembly is quite cr&ppy and they continually need tightening. It would be nice to have a small mirror similar in design to the SPA units but the quality of the Caterham o/e mirrors *thumbup*

Stu.

• Area Representative

Stu, now if you had retained the cage on your car, you could bolt the spa mirrors nice and high up and get an excellent vibration-free view - but you still can't open the doors fully! Being permanently aero'd solves that problem....

Nick

-----

Back in a BEC! - but done alright in Class 1...