Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How old can a cam belt be?

Rullingen

I am currently very interested in a 2000 Roadsport VVC with 20K on the clock and one owner from new. The owner has a full service history, much of it with Caterham, but states that they have never advised him to have a cam belt change, consequently it has a 9 year old cam belt.

I was a little surprised at this, and from what I can find on the web on this subject the maximum suggested age is 5 years.

I'm thinking that if I were to buy the car I'd want to trailer it straight to the garage for a cam belt change. Am I over-reacting?

If you consider the cost of a new cylinderhead, against the cost of the belt, it is a no brainer. I would advise changing the belt as soon as you get it home.

I have had the misfortune to loose a VX engine where the pistons had lunch with the valves.

It is very frustrating to say the least.

Given the value of the car I would change the belt,

My service van gets a new belt every three years whether it has done the milage or not.

Greg.

I lost a load of teeth from my three-year, 30k-ish piper belt this summer. Don't know for sure yet if that was cause or effect.

Still, I discovered the joys of BEC Westies as a result, so can't all be bad *wink*

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Ecosse™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Bring back the cam chain that's what I say Increasingly car makers are doing this, as to have an engine grenade itself for the sake of a failed belt or tensioner or another failed ancilary component like a water pump that it may drive is nuts.

My diesel mondeo has a great twincam 16 valve chain cam engine. With regular oil changes the chain should last the life of the car *thumbup*

I'm surprised no-one's offering a retro fit camchain kit for popular engines.

I suppose the problem would be the oiling, needing an oil-sealed case which could run its oil separate from the engine oil.

Not, you'd think, an insurmountable challenge, however.

I'd buy one, for something like a hot engined Seven.

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds..ooooh hooo hooo!!...

😬 😬Abbey Road Time-Machine *eek* *eek*

Bring back the cam chain that's what I say Increasingly car makers are doing this, as to have an engine grenade itself for the sake of a failed belt or tensioner or another failed ancilary component like a water pump that it may drive is nuts.

My diesel mondeo has a great twincam 16 valve chain cam engine. With regular oil changes the chain should last the life of the car

I thought that would be the case with my tintop Martin, unfortunately whilst the camchain was fine, one of the plastic chain guides broke *cry* *mad*

Ian - Slightly Vider SVelte SuperVeloce model 😬 - Joint AR for North Kent

FOr the sake of a few quid I'd definitely change it. I believe belts should be changed every 3-4 years or the specified mileage since they loose their strength. It's rather cheaper than rebuilding an engine too *eek*

'Have you any idea what it's like to have the wind rushing through your hair!' (Quote:Sq Cdr the Lord Flashheart)

There is a letter in this month's CSMA mag from the driver of a 1989 Honda Prelude and after covering a total of 99,000 miles from new, he has given the car one oil change and is still on his first cam belt, set of tyres, exhaust, brake pads and brake fluid.

Suffice to say that I would not like him driving behind me....

Cheers,

Graham

------

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

Edited by - Graham Sewell on 12 Nov 2009 08:04:07

Yes well,,,,,

I was talking old school,

I think you will find that formula one engines of the 50s and early 60s had gear driven cams etc.

You may have heard of the original pre-crossflow ford engine. Gear driven.

Oh, and the DFV 3 litre Cosworth formula one engine. Gear driven also.

A good frind of mine ran a pre-crossflow block with a crossflow head on it. That had a gear driven cam and front mounted dry sump on the engine. 1600cc and 151HP from a 1950s technology engine. 😬

I was amazed seeing the cam chains when my Mondeo was being re head gasketed last week, (due to user error 😳.)

It does make belts look a bit like rubber bands.

edit: I have found a use for my old cam belt: as a letters hooker to get things out of my letter box when I have forgotten the key: it lives just by the box dare I say a "timely" reminder. *wink*

Oh yes, to original poster: change it, of course.

Anthony

Edited by - anthonym on 11 Nov 2009 22:26:59