Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting an anti-cavitation tank

MikeE

Appologies for raising this again but.....

I've decided I definitely need an anti-cav tank fitting but Caterham can't do it to the end of the month (and I can't be bother to drive all the way to Dartford to drop the car off).

SO I'm considering having a go at fitting it my self.

The questions are:

1. How long does it take?

2. Do I need any special tools/equipment?

3. Will I get a comprehensive set of fitting instructions with the kit?

4. If not does anyone have a comprehensive set of instructions I could have?

5. Is there anyone in the Fleet/Hampshire area that has experience of this and could help me out (for a few beers of course)

Thanks in advance.

Mike.

Had mine fitted for me but:

1) Caterham reckon on about 4hrs I believe.

2) Not that I'm aware of. A set of spanners would make life easier.

3) Ho ho ho.

4) If you do a search for "Apollo" and "fitting" you should find a link posted (IIRC) by Chris Clark to some web based instructions that are supposed to be just the ticket.

5) I would have thought so but (4) may be all you need.

This has got me thinking about one as well.

ISTR they come with an oil temp sender, if so do they come with a gauge as well. If there's no gauge what sort is needed and where can I get one that fits into and looks ok in my dash ? - i have a 1.6K supersport so none of that fancy Stack stuff for me

Nick

P8MRA - The green one with red wings

Spoke to Caterham today and they say the oil temp sender is included in the price (£395 fully fitted). This sender is then wired up to the Water temperature guage and you can manually switch between Water and Oil temps.

Mike

Nick,

They don't come with an additional gauge to install in the dash. Instead the water temp gauge doubles-up as both, with a switch (same style as the indicator switch) to change the reading from Water to Oil temp. Called a "WOO" switch by some!!

C7 GAR

Message to Brain: "Type quicker next time"

Edited by - Gary G on 2 Aug 2002 17:42:47

1) I took my time to get it right and it took about 6 hours assuming you have no leaks to rectify afterwards

2) I didn't use any special tools but you will need a big open ended spanner to fit the large hex ends on the tank fittings if you are to tighten up the adaptors/unions adequately, you can't really get a good twist on the unions if you're hoping the aluminium isn't going to distort. I didn't try to do this with the tank buried down in front of the cambelt cover but I connected the pipes with the tank in mid air above the cam pulleys and then stuffed the whole lot in.

3) I got no instructions whatsoever and had to phone Caterham for some which turned out to be a two pages document referring to photos, but there were no photos! So ask for a proper set when you order the tank (and fitting kit)

4) I could post you mine but you'd do best asking Caterham for a better set.

5) Dunno

Ken

The unions on the sandwich plate are difficult to get oil-tight. Fit them to the plate before you fit it on the car and use PTFE tape to seal the threads. About 3 turns of tape should do the trick.

The rest is just a spanner job. You will need 20mm spanners for the unions. Seal the oil temperature sender threads with Red Hermatite.

It is not a bad idea to fit a non return valve in the vent pipe. (see previous threads on this). The tank drains down when the engine is switched off, with a consequent delay in obtaining oil pressure on start-up. The valve stops this from happening. Think Automotive can supply the bits.

Good Luck!

pete

The two pipes from the Apollo tank go through the Alternator belt between the crank pulley and Alternator to the sandwich plate which fits on the oil filter housing. I had a belt go at Imola and it was a real pain to change as you can't fit a new one without undoing at least one pipe and it may mean an Oil change

So the clever money is on getting a spare belt, pass the pipes through this and cable tie it to chassis, then if your belt breaks it's a simple job.......'till the next time!

Mark

Mike

I am getting Chris Wheeler of the Se7en Workshop to fit am Apollo tank for me and I have purchased a Racetech Oil Pressure/Oil Temperature guage from DT (see page 160) as I didn't want another switch on the dashboard. The guage is the same size as the Caterham and will blend in with the other dials.

Good luck

Mark

Mark (F355) - I had cause to replace the alternator belt recently, and also have the anti cav system fitted. Unless your pipes are routed differently to mine, it took about 10 mins to change, and with no need to empty the oil system.

Just cut the cable ties holding the hoses, undo completely the Jubilee clip, and slide the old belt off, after slackening the Alternator bracket.

replace, and all should be well.

Regards,

Martin.

Edited by - mav on 4 Aug 2002 21:52:40

Mav

Which Jubille clip did you undo? I'm interested as both hoses from the Apollo on mine passed through the belt, in the end we worked out that we only had to undo the top hose and release the tank from the mounts and lift it about 6 inches then slide the new belt down the Apollo tank whilst threading the now loose top hose through the belt and under the tank, fit the belt then refit the Apollo tank and retighten the top hose, it took about 3/4 hour for what should have been a simple job.

Do your Anti-cav pipes not run through the loop of the belt? if so then your installtion is better than mone, well Gasha's now as he's bought the car!!!! and my SLR doesn't have an Apollo or an Engine at the moment but thats another story!!

Mark

Slarty Blat Fast,

Thanks for the offer, I've sent you mail.

Today I've cancelled my appointment at the Caterham workshop and mail ordered the Apollo from Caterham. So now I'm going to fit it myself I'll need all the help I can get!

cheers,

Mike.

So I ordered the kit on Monday (made sure I asked for the fitting kit AND instructions). It arrived yesterday and of course there's no instructions in the box.........

I hope to do the job on Satruday and Sunday so hope Caterham can get me the instructions by tomorrow.

Mike

John,

Thanks for the offer but someone else scanned the article and sent it to me. I actually fitted the tank over the weekend, took about 8 hours total without any real problems (thanks to your instructions).

I've driven the 7 into work today and on startup I noticed the oil pressure takes several seconds to rise, I think I'll have to fit the non-return valve as well.

cheers,

Mike.