Click here if you are having website access problems ×

xflow rebuild.. opinions?

Danny123

Hi all,,,, Just had my engine rebuilt by Vulcan to 145bhp spec ( it returns next week) and would like some opinions on oil + coolent please. I used to put halfords classic car oil in before rebuild but as this is basically a complete rebuild and rebore,,, i just wondered if there was any benifit in going for a different oil? also i'm never sure which coolent to use..

i'm sure Vulcan will advise me anyway but blat chat is a good place for a consencious

thanks in advance

Hi Danny, I'm in a similar position after rebuilding my Xflow; I've bought some Comma 20w50 cheap and cheerful oil to run-in with (250 miles or so, not letting the engine labour, and gradually increasing revs), and then planned on using a semi-synthetic 15w40 of a proprietory brand.

I'm just going to use ordinary ethylene glycol coolant (probably Comma again), and just change it every other year, as long as I don't have any 'accidents' with the nose of the car!

Les, thats interesting, i'm not doing the running in at this point as i've had to pay vulcan to dyno / run the engine in due to lack of time before my track day. which brand(s) will you choose from? mobil? castrol? or something else?

Alex,,, that would be telling.... one thing i will warn you about is the unexpected costs in the small print,, i.e the 2 week holiday to malta that the missus will book for the both of you without you knowing !!!!!

I have personaly spent alot overall but it's all a matter of choice. I could have rebuilt it for around 1500 with 244cam but decided to upgrade to acralite pistons for longer life and i don't have time to run it in so hence the dyno which costs 450 on its own. i think i'm paying around 2600 (ish) which includes:-

pistons

cam

rebore

head skim

block skim ( as the head gasket has gone before and previous owner didn't skim the head)

complete head work including new valves / guides / cutting etc

clutch

fly wheel lightned

and then new bearings etc vanier.

vulcan basically charge you 650 laybor and then parts for the rebuild.

I was thinking of the zetec route which would then be (i think ) 3-4k but.... i love the crossflow too much:-)

My Roger King 140bhp x/flow has always been run on Mobil 1 15/50 Motorsport oil and has been very reliable (touch wood) since the rebuild which was in 2000 and some 43,000 miles ago. Not the cheapest oil but the recommendation of RK.

As for coolant I've been using Comma Xstream red for the last couple of years.

Chris Alston

C7CAT 1800 Supersprint

R248 *tongue* ....and then I jumped in *eek*

Erm, think I'll be using Mobil 1 15/50 Motorsport oil *wink*

My rebuild wasn't as dear as that, but I didn't use forged pistons, I haven't had it dyno'd (but will when she's bedded in a little provided she runs at all), plus I got a great deal on my cylinder head unleaded conversion/gasflow/overhaul.

Can't wait to hear it fired up!

X-flows don't need fancy oils - Caterham recommend Comma Eurolite 10w-40 semi-synthetic oil and Comma Xstream Red coolant

I'm currently using Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil 20w-50 which is a high quality mineral oil in my 145ish bhp xflow.

My bottom end rebuild cost £2,400 a couple of years back.

Edited by - MusCat on 13 May 2009 23:22:32

I too use valvolene VR1 20-50 in my d/s x-flow.

Nothing special in the coolant department. ISTR it was green.

I try not to think what I have spent on re-builds - but the current incarnation seems to be lasting quite well (should I REALLY have said that *tongue*)

Dave.

I've run my XFlow on a variety of oils over the years (109,000 miles, but rebuilt several times). I always thought to old Mobil 5W50 suited it best, but since they discontinued it I took Roger King's advice and now run it on 5W40 semi synthetic. You have to get used to the fact that it will show a couple of PSI less on the gauge, but the improved lubrication at startup is beneficial.

I've always just lobbed a 30% antifreeze mix in it.

I'm not a expert but a quick google would suggest that older engines with their larger operating clearances demand higher viscosity oils to achieve an adequate oil film thickness. Using a modern low viscosity oil in engines such as an xflow could result in the oil film breaking down in the bearings.

There are a couple of points to bear in mind about synthetic oils.

1 You can't run an engine in on them

2 An XFlow wasn't designed for anything that good, so it's a bit of a waste of money

3 They don't generally come in the thicker grades as they are designed for more modern engines

4 They don't carry away as much heat as mineral oils, so can run a bit hotter

Interesting, it's not as expensive as you may think. Certainly better value than the Zetec option. Dare I ask what the mpg will drop to or is that the lady's age sort of question too?

Windscreens... They're for poofs

I priced up a 145BHP Vulcan xflow and it came to over 4k with someone doing the installation. So, I went Zetec which after selling the engine and silencer should bring in the costs at around or under the Vulcan route - but for 160BHP and a cheap upgrade path to 200 BHP.

When I went thru' the process of deciding on rebuild vs Zetec, when I bent my crank at Donnington a coupe of years back. I have a dry sumped 145bhp xflow and I needed to get someone else to do all the work. My conclusions were as follows:

Raceline 160bhp Zetec with all the ancillaries, dry sump and all fitting work - £5k Also having a live axle I was worried about breaking the axle shortly after the install.

Ratrace rebuild - £2.4k with new clutch bits included as well.

Vulcan rebuild - less for the rebuild than Ratrace but required someone to take the engine out, ship it to Vulcan and do the reverse once complete, which would have made it more than Ratrace.

Decided to go to with Ratrace.

If I had had a standard xflow I'd have bought a old engine from those going the Zetec route (there were a lot about at the time) and just swapped the engines over.

thanks guys,, all interesting stuff. i will follow what Steve advises but it's interesting having the options. i also wonder what my MPG will be like.... before the rebuild it was around 100 miles out of £30 at the pump.

hmmmm, next problem is where to get it from? just looking on the web seems like its mail order as the usual places i use don't stock it, or at least in Telford they don't. Hope the engine comes back with oil now but i get the impression it will be drained

H7 MFR

Xflow

Hi Alex, mine was the same i think and vulcan have converted it to unleaded. Also (with my limited knoledge, someone may have a full explanation) they are using a material for the seats which stops the big plume of black smoke you get from cold start up.

The only thing i would say is the head will need skiming when its off and thats about 100 quid. Full head refurb work is then probably 200 quid but the thing to bear in mind is if you then do the block at a later date, the head will need skiming again.

H7 MFR

Xflow

Alex,

I'm not sure what you are intending to do to the block but there is not a lot of room for improvement unless you go for steel internals which are over £2k for the parts alone - crank, rods and forged pistons. Ok, if you need to take the thing apart because it’s broken, there are small things you can improve like better crank bearing etc but I’m not sure it’s worth paying the cost of rebuild just to do that.

If you look at the difference between the Vulcan 110/135/145bhp units most of the work is in the head. The 165bhp unit has steel internals and that starts at £5k, and at that money you might consider the Zetec route.

Mine is a bog-standard 1700 bottom end, but with big valves and improved gas flow (still on a 234 cam - so very tractable) which supposedly gives 147bhp.

Talk to Vulcan or someone who knows their stuff local to you – but to answer your question – the head is the place to start.

What I found when I fitted the Vulcan MAxiflow II head with unleaded was that I lost a fair chunk of performance off the top end. I was most disappointed until I got the dizzy recalibrated by Aldon. Now it flies and the petrol is cheaper (but nowhere near cheap enough to pay for the headwork).

Cheers,

Graham

------

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

Edited by - Graham Sewell on 15 May 2009 13:46:18