Click here if you are having website access problems ×

sequential box

duh

Simon rogers uses one and I am about to take possession of an Elite with semi helical gears for road/track use, everything I have heard/read leads me to believe that the box is extremeley good, i beliebe they used to have some issues but all are resolved and the box is alot lighter/cheaper than the quaife unit, the only real downside that I can see is that the 6 speed version means having a separate lever for reverse as opposed to having it on the gearstick

IL200-6 is the one i'm getting with semi helical gears, not sure how it drives on the road....will soon find out but i plan to do 40% road 60% track so one will always be a bit of a compromise, i know it'll be noisier but hey that's part of the fun

I've got a prop spare from an Elite installation, might be ok for you but depends on the length you need.

I've also got the ILS200 6 speed in my SLR, the mounting will require some bespoke innovation.

If you go for the 6 speeder, reverse is activated via an external cable mechanism which is located on the left hand side of the maincase. This is not a problem, but needs consideration during installation time *confused*

I use the box for racing and to date has been brilliant. However, I think they would be too agricultural for the road. I do not refer to the noise from the dog gears, but to the shock of the gear change.

You must use a centre sprung clutch and allow the gearbox to twist with the engine. I.E. Mount it on a correctly specified compression rubber bobbin *wink* *wavey*

Oh, lastly remove the breather and fit a catch arrangement, the breather is directly above the shaft and tends to discharge under excitement

Want to rent an 18th century Farmhouse in Rural Somerset?

Edited by - Pendennis on 28 Apr 2009 22:33:27

The other ones to consider are Derenth, and the new one from Sadev.

I am going to fit a Sadev SCL82-17 myself shortly, (anyone want my Quaife) it is a direct replacement for the type 9, same mountings, same prop connection, and has drop gear facility. options include display, flat **** output, and oil pump for crazy guys like me who want to stuff ridiculous quantities of power and RPM through it. Max engine torque rating is 260 lbs ft

If anyone wants the details please mail me and I'll send a word doc. It's not on their website yet.

Mike have you got details and an e mail address.Other than that it would appear depending on the box nothing straightforward on fitting a sequential and maybe even the chance of sustaining a serious injury.

There's a vertical plate available through CC parts now, with a couple of holes punched in it, one of which the nose of the prop passes through.

You rivet this plate into the tunnel just ahead of the handbrake. It covers the nose of the prop, just behind the gearbox-end UJ. It's standard fitment to all sequential-spec'd factory cars now I believe. *thumbup*

Darren E

K80 RUM Website and Emerald maps library

Home of the long-term, supercharged Duratec project *biggrin*

*wavey*

Agreed. The UJs on the older props were a bit dubious I think, when it came to coping with the combination of shock loads from high output engines in conjunction with grippy tyres. If a new prop is being spec'd for the task in hand, you could argue there's less of a case for it..

How's your new engine sounding now it's been fired up Ian?? Can't wait to try mine!

Darren E

A crock of ****e despite my efforts, RR tomorrow lets see what they can do to ye olde map. Clearly there are some significant differences here *confused*

I shall take some photo's of Bernie Ecklerollingstones F1 exhaust system, so you can see what half a months wages get's yer *redface*

Want to rent an 18th century Farmhouse in Rural Somerset?

Edited by - Pendennis on 30 Apr 2009 21:51:46

Contact details for Sadev are on my web site for contacts on lu07tus.com

If you are concerned about props going and the damage they can do then go carbon prop. The 500bhp engined 7's are not having a problem with sequentials. If they were to go at the UJ the prop would disintergrate and should not tear the car and your body to bits *thumbup* Well I hope that will be the case *wink*

We have spec'ed up carbon props for drag racing cars and there is never a problem or concern. It should be noted the carbon prop should never get really hot.

RiF Building a real super SUPER 7 with a V6 😬 😬 😬.For Build Pictures and LOTS of Carbon or try CA07BON for Henrietta's 7

duh, I would have blatmailed you with my mail address, but it's not working at the moment.

RIF, I will also be fitting a carbon prop, the existing one is bigger/beefier than standard and was fitted at the rebuild to handle the higher output from the RST, but it weighs a ton, and now that Russell has the carbon ones available might as well change it with the box.

Edited by - Mike Biddle on 1 May 2009 16:41:54

I justified one of Richard's gorgeous CTG propshafts on the basis that I was investing in something a bit beefier and with better UJs, that *if* the worst happened, was more likely to disintegrate.

They're nicely made and Richard even sells an under-shield for it, to protect it from FOD. *thumbup*

Ian: Would love to see some pics of the 'zorst installed. Best of luck for today - let me know how you got on if you get a chance *wavey*

Darren E

Edited by - k80rum on 1 May 2009 16:50:14