Click here if you are having website access problems ×

BEC, MOT Emissions

Tony Wright

Was kit built as a Blackbird, I've only had it a year so will speak to previous owner as it came with a full MOT (unless he had a similar MOT tester to mine *wink*)

Are we talking full cat, Lambada sensor etc I ask as I'm not sure what exhaust I have fitted.

As the car is 2000 and the engine must be 1999+ it will officially need a full emmisions test.

You will need a CAT at least to pass this with a busa if not also a power-commander/ programable ECU.

You may find a friendly MOT garage that either ignores this or decides to interpret the rules incorrectly and asks for visible smoke only, but with the DVLA cracking down on these guys it is doubtful.

Good luck,

Rob

I have a Power Commander fitted but no cat. Where would the cat fit, would it be the same or similar to the cat on say an R500 exhaust and would it also require a lambada sensor? also any idea how much it will cost?

I was hoping to try and bluff the new tester as we use a different system in Germany (not TUV) all be it the same as the MOT but tester has to refer to manuals rather than link into a computer. I may try the 4 wheels, motorbike engine and smidgen under 400 kilo's = Quad and hope they don't bring in the bathroom scales 😬

My car is a year 2000 build, engine 98 Blackbird on carbs and all the computer came up with was N/A on emissions so they just do a visible smoke test. Seems a very grey area and best advice is to find a friendly tester.

My busa required a CAT (Jetex sell sports ones) that needs to be positioned between where all the manifolds come together and the silencer. A standard Caterham one may work but as you'll probably have a custom manifold it probably won't fit.

You could do with a lamda boss installing just above the CAT and make sure the exhaust is sealed properly. The car should then be mapped by a dynojet rep to provide a lamda reading at the tested RPM of between 0.97 and 1.02 IIRC. This will then allow the CAT to work and you will pass the MOT requirements.

All the best,

Rob