Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Speedo cable problems

alextangent

I am seriously frustrated with the speedo on my LA (and the speedo-off-propshaft post made me write this).

After changing the 4spd gearbox this winter and refitting the speedo cable "round the houses" (boy, does it go through some serious angles) I get around a 30% under-reading at all speeds. It was down around 10% before this, but it's now ridiculous doing 60 and getting an indicated 40. The cable seems fine, and the speedo dial doesn't bounce around as though it's being wound up and let off, so I'm curious as to what I can do.

Would some WD40 down the cable outer help? Anything adjustable at the back of the speedo to compensate?

Alex McDonald

Loud, louder, loudest...

• 1 month later...

Bike sounds like it might be the way forward, although the mileage travelled won't be shown?

Any pointers to the bike speedo route? Digidash will be megadosh, and I'm skint going megajolt!

Alex McDonald

Loud, louder, loudest...

I have a 4 speed box with a right angle drive - suggest you should have one too.

The gearbox has a drive cog for the speedo drive - removable by removing the metal plug opposide the speedo drive bit on the gearbox (probably a box out job) The drive cogs come in different colours with different gearing, you may have a differnt drive cog with a different number of teeth on it to that in the original gear box, you could swap them over to see - don't know it it's worth the work - bike speedo may be the easiest route.

Regards

Allen