Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Inertia Switch

Z3MCJez

How good are you at driving? *tongue*

It's like the push button start, you might not stall but it's easier to get going again if you don't have to faff about.

Imagine your rage when your engine is cut and you have to clamber out through your cage and lift the bonnet to get the car restarted, thinking "I wish I'd moved it..."

Not a racer, me, but if I was racing, I think I'd want everything within arms reach.

John

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 (Back on the road!!! 😬)

Talloulah: '08 1.6K Classic (Grubby )

Please forgive my ignorance and the partial thread high-jack - do all 7's have an inertia switch as standard, then? If so, where is it normally located, please?

I remember reading about one activating when crossing a New Forest cattle grid once but I've never established if all cars have them.

TIA,

Pierson

OK, thanks for that G. - I'm assuming that's the scuttle's vertical bulkhead. In which case mine hasn't got one!

My car is one of the early deDion S3 chassis - 1987 - perhaps the inclusion of an interia switch was a later addition, or maybe there's one lurking elsewhere? What's it look like?!

Pierson

• Support Team

My cutoff switch operated when I put a wheel on a large curb at Angelsey last year during the club sprint there. It left me sat on the racing line while the next car approached at 100mph *eek*. I am not the only sprinter it has happened to and many actually bypass the cut off completely.

For racing I would definitely do it.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

Don't move it, bypass it.

Even if it's in the cabin, there's a good chance it'll cut out when you run over kerbs, and you'll get hit up the 🙆🏻 by the car following close behind. IMO this is more dangerous than the small risk of a worse fire by not having one. Other opinions may (and do) vary.

• 2 weeks later...

Had fun last weekend when both leads into mine (on the bulkhead) fell out as I turned from a side road onto a somewhat busy lane *eek*. Immediate cut out of the engine was a bit of a shock. Had to pull over, take the bonnet off & scratch my head - thankfully spotted what it was straight away after reading another thread about the inertia switch the previous week.

So, wherever you put it on the car it would seem worth checking that the leads are properly seated into the switch *redface*

CSR Superlight 260 Mclaren Orange

Power by COSWORTH *cool* Pictures here

I would second Roger's comments. I moved mine first. I could get it to cut out on the curbs of Pembrey quite easily. Whilst it only takes a sec to work out whats going on and hit the button. By that time you are arent accelerating out of the corner, and the guy behind you is!!! Very dangerous. After a couple of near misses from behind, I shorted mine out.

If you have a harness, rollcage, elect cut outswitch, fire proof gear, then I think as roger says, the cons outway the pros!

• 5 years later...

At Anglesey at the weekend, I triggered my inertia switch as I came out of the final hairpin.  Annoying and briefly worrying, but otherwise not a problem.

I discussed this with a few people and someone (possibly Gill) mentioned that they had put a switch in the circuit so that the inertia switch could be 'on' or bypassed.  Can anyone tell me and my electrically defective brain how to do this please and by that, I mean, which switch?

Thanks,

Oli

Erm, ok. If you want to bypass it - but avoid the fuel-dousing scenario, why don't you run the wires to a conventional switch on the dash - presumably covered by an aircraft safety cover?

That way, you can not-only remain safe(ish - you need to be conscious and intact to activate it), but you can feel one switch closer to Top Gun!

• Support Team

Hi Oli - we have a dash mounted override switch for exactly the same reason - seeing Adrian in the rear view mirror approaching my car at about 100mph through Church while I was stationary on the racing line was pretty heartstopping for me and even more heartstopping for him as he took to the grass to avoid me!

You just bridge the terminals of the inertia switch. Take a wire from each side to your new dash switch - when the dash switch is closed the inertia switch is overridden.

Not on a caterham but on a self built car with the same inertia switch as caterham use i hit a large pot hole and this was enough to shut the pump off and hold the following traffic up until i realised what had happened, So reached under the scuttle from drivers seat pressed and reset and away .

Thanks guys, that's very useful.

Shaun - just the scenario I would now be concerned about!  It seems an easy solution now it's spelt out for me but I find it hard to picture even the most basic electrical circuits.

Cheers,

Oli

I seem to recall I missed taking the overall Speed championship one year becasue mine tripped on the outside kerbs of Paddock at Pembrey on my 3rd attempt at the one and only run we had that day.  Shaus tried very hard to put me off on the first 2 attempts.  I also recall he took out the timing gear on the second go! http://www.lotus7.club/sites/all/libraries/ckeditor/plugins/smiley/images/confused_smile.png

Yes moving the button is a good idea particularly for track day or race if you have to maintain it.

For Speed events - I'll take my chances without it as once it triggers the run is over!