Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1.6 Sigma 150 Quirk ??? - Final Update 23.06.09

Windy Corner

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not wanting to sound ignorant but what costs £40?

As for the 150 sigma, I've got one of the very early 07 plate ones and although they have been tinkering with the engine each time it's paid a visit to them I have enjoyed my ownership thoughout. It's kind of like an incentive scheme run by Caterham that each time it comes in for a service you get a better car back.

Rich

Domus,

Perhaps see you Friday afternoon, mine should be there somewhere, if you see me with either a blue SV or a silver Disco & trailer, please say hello if I haven't clocked you by then

Rik

Edited to add, this thread is up to 13 pages now, and should be seen as more of an indication of how great this place is and how people have been so ready to help me (and others)

Have fun on Friday

Roadsport SV 1.6 Sigma 150

in Viper Blue here

Edited by - Windy Corner on 9 Sep 2009 19:56:20

Please forgive me if I ignore you, I won't do it on purpose but I expect to be like a kid in a sweet shop. 🥰

Yes the £40.00 is my club subs, I intend to drive you all mental with loads of questions.

Please tell me to shut up when I get too much.

Building the 7 is very much a large part of the cars appeal to me. Just retired (early) 😬 and I don't want my spanners going rusty. Time served fitter 30 years air compressor service engineer. The thought of working with clean, new bits, rather than trying to keep old, abused air compressors oil tight, has a certain appeal.

I agree the build is a real part of ownership. My advice it tale your time, once you've finished you will wish it was a pile of boxes again. Have fun 😬

I've got a 150 and had a number of problems bit as soon as the key is turned and the right foot pressed down hard, it all goes away - along with all the other worries 😬

Learning new skills all the time, 10000 miles completed.

Domus, I built mine just after my Seventieth birthday two years ago and haven't looked back since but don't make the same mistake as me. I thought the Sigma 125 would suit me fine but I found it a bit underwhelming to be honest. So last year I took it back to Dartford and had it upgraded to 150 and with the recent new map to solve the bad running problem, it's a different animal and I'm very pleased with the result. I think if you haven't driven a Caterham before any of the models will feel good on a test drive and I bet afterwards you won't remember hearing any noises like diff for example, you will be to engrossed in the the drive. This is because it's a completely different experience from any tin top. So I would suggest you try the 125 then jump in the 150 and feel the difference, they even sound a lot better and remember you've got to live with your choice.

Best of luck and from what I hear it looks as though the weather will be good.

Peter

Domus, I took early retirement too and building the 7 was all part of the enjoyment.

BTW the build is covered day by day in photos here.

I had loads of problems - delays in delivery (was told Jan 07, actually May 07), missing power socket (because they omitted it from the order form so I couldn't know it was an option), many shortages (including the engine not ready for the delivery day), late availability of Sigma Assembly Guide, ignition switch wrongly wired by the factory so the car wouldn't start, poppers wrongly positioned so the roof couldn't be fitted, wrongly made loom so I had to solder in a fly loom. All this is laughable but pales into insignificance once you can drive it.

Then, however, the inevitable raditor leak and two weeks wait because they were out of stock.

Then the windscreen cracked and another two weeks wait because they were out of stock.

But I am still smiling (or is it laughing hysterically?)

Viper Blue Sigma 150 Roadsport SV

Well, took out the 125 narrow body first with Jody riding shotgun.

First impressions, tiny, quick, skittish and very firm brake pedal.

Then same route in the 150 SV, chalk and cheese, roomier, quicker, more planted, still very firm brake pedal but I expect much easier to live with long term.

Jody then took Mrs Domus out for a ride, she came back with a positive attitude *thumbup*.

Had a nice chat with Jody and one of the guys in the workshop. Went away with lots of thoughts and went back on Saturday morning on the way to Mallory Park. We both sat in a narrow body and an SV. I so much wanted the narrow body to be the one for me, but hand on heart, we both felt that it would be too uncomfortable for longer blats and weekends away. Price of the car went up £1500 at that moment *eek*

I think we will go back in the next week or so and hire one for the day.

Will keep you posted

Interesting to hear about how it went Domus *thumbup* I remember when I was trying out the various sevens I couldn't belive the difference in the interior space of the S3 compared to the SV! Luckily I'm a slim build so width isn't a problem but even at 6ft 2 with long legs I had to slide the seat forward a couple of clicks in the SV just to push the clutch to the floor! Don't know how shorties get on in the SV?

The SV probably felt more planted due it's wide track suspension, did it have the same tyres. I've changed my standard ZV3 tyres for Yoko AO21's & it's transformed the car 😬

I love the fit like a glove feel of the S3 but can see the advantages of the SV, also you have a bit more luggage space & a few litres more fuel. At least by now all the gremlins should have been sorted with the 150 engine & I'm sure it's a cracking lump. Slight weight penalty of the SV of course, 25kg's.

Decisions Decisions *confused*

Edited by - Martin Jeffrey on 13 Sep 2009 18:05:49

Never thought about the tyres 😳.

It was difficult to compare the cars with there being so many differences, chassis, engine, floor, wheel size, but CC can't have each engine in each chassis and floor for test drives can they? As you say decisions, decisions *confused*

Domus,

I agree with Martin, 150 S3, you feel more a part of the car and I think you feel the road better if that makes sense but this posting will be quickly followed by the SV (it's the only way to go people). Whatever you choose, happy days.

Peter

Sorry to have missed you on Friday, you could have sat in my SV, with which I have don the same as exfordy, the pedals are on the nearmost setting with the seat not quite all the way back, so that the gear stick is more to hand.

When I was choosing, Nick summed it up with "having an SV means never having do decide which shoes to wear" !!!! And I agree, what with the roomier cockpit, more luggage space, fuel tank is meant to be bigger (but not really) there wasn't much else to decide.

Edited to add, I am fairly sure that their two demonstrators have 15" wheels and CR500's so should be the same.

Rik

Roadsport SV 1.6 Sigma 150

in Viper Blue here

Edited by - Windy Corner on 15 Sep 2009 12:19:53

That's the option known as "Superlight suspension" on the order form. On the S3 chassis it also gives you the widetrack front that is standard on the SV.

Martyn

R300GRR (SuperVeloce) specced and ordered for a winter build

Edited by - Rattie on 16 Sep 2009 21:52:47