Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1.6 Sigma 150 Quirk ??? - Final Update 23.06.09

Windy Corner

Brett at midlands has done the latest remap etc on my 150 and I'm really pleased with the result but how would I tell if I've got the right throttle quadrant (whatever that is) fitted. If it is, or was, the wrong one would this have been corrected when they did the upgrade?

Peter

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pete,

I wouldn't have thought Brett would have changed the throttle quadrant as part of the routine procedure.

Not sure how to tell the difference between throttle quadrants, as I haven't seen the new one yet, but if Farreaster could email me some photos I would be happy to host them.

Rik

Roadsport SV 1.6 Sigma 150

in Viper Blue here

Thanks Rik,

The 1st photo is the old quadrant in situ, the 2nd both old & new side by side and the 3rd the new quadrant in situ. In the 2nd photo the difference in diameter is obvious, an increase from 18.5 mm to 31.5 mm. This should be easily apparent when comparing the 1st and 3rd photos.

The quadrant is located in between the 2 pairs of throttle bodies and is mounted on the spindle of the rear pair.

Because the TB's are so close the quadrant cannot be replaced without removing both TB's, took about 2 hours total.

Malcolm

• 2 weeks later...

Got mine flashed over the weekend and must say found that at motorway speed it was a lot smoother, non of that hesitation you get sometimes at 3,500 rpm.

Need to give it a proper work out though to check it out, but initial impressions are that the idle is slightly up, needle just below the 1,000 rpm line, was nearer to 850 beforehand and also that there it doesn't seem quite as settled in slow moving traffic. I found that when crawling in slow moving traffic there was a lot more jerkyness? not quite sure how to explain it.

Anyway I suppose more reason to take it back out again to try and get a better impression of it's handling.

Had mine done at the same time as Richard *wavey*

The flat spots seem to have gone and I no longer have to hold the revs on the throttle on cold startup. Idles at 900 where as before it was struggling at 700ish. Agree with Richard there does seem to be a little more of a hair throttle in stop start traffic but I'm happy to come to terms with this if it means I don't have to heel and toe a junctions for the first 5 mins of any blat.

PS radiator died on the way to dartford (second one) impressed that rad was changed whilst there and expansion cap replaced just in case and the bonnet cleaned FOC in about an hour including the ecu flash. *thumbup*Caterham aftersales

The "jerkyness in slow moving traffic" described by Richard and the "hair throttle in stop start traffic" by Scoops appears to be a common problem with this map.

Certainly going to the larger dia. throttle quadrant helps but the basic issue remains. With regard to my car I have a steady tickover at about 900 rpm, if I very delicately (in neutral) increase the throttle opening the revs initially fall to a lumpy 750 rpm before rising to higher rpm's. In other words there is a flat spot just off tickover, it is probable that this lack of proportionality is giving rise to the symptoms described by Richard and Scoops.

Could I ask that other sigma 150 owners try this simple test, if it is a common feature it may well be worthwhile approaching Caterham for remap

• 2 weeks later...
Just fired up my Sigma 150 and left it to run for a while to warm it up as it's been taken to have some cosmetic work done on it and didn't want the guy doing the work to drive it from cold. It would not tick over as the idle speed had dropped alarmingly and would stall at every opportunity unless a bit of throttle was applied. After the recent upgrade I have mentioned that the slow idle had been causing problems but not as bad as this. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Fired mine up yesterday morning and had it idling for a minute or so while I closed the garage door and got comfy. Seemed fairly steady just below 1000 rpm, also noted that it appeared to start more easily than normal? Perhaps because it hadn't been left to sulk too long in the garage since I had last used it..

Not me, used the car at the weekend and it is still running/ticking over well.

Have you tried switching on and off the ingnition half a dozen times with no throttle to reset the throttle pot value? Also if you have a voltmeter try measuring the value of the throttle pot, using the laptop via the ECU mine was measuring 1.03V.

Regards

Ivan

This has got me thinking, a great deal of the Caterham ownership thing for me is the thought of building the thing in the first place. What happens in cases such as those listed on the previous posts?

When I bought my last two cars (Audi, Mazda) they came with a three year warranty, Audi and Mazda assist (for three years) and a network of dealers. In all that time all I needed was a replacement coil pack on the MX-5, and a new parcel shelf for the Audi (slight rattle)

If and when I build my 7, put in the fuel and it does not start what do I do in my garage in the frozen North West?

What do I get in the shape of warranty for my £20,000+?

Edited by - Domus on 7 Sep 2009 21:28:04

Please don't get me wrong, this 11 page epic was started to solve a seemingly innocent niggly problem. It turned out to be a mapping problem that Caterham have now fixed, certainly in my case, to my satisfaction.

The support I got from Brett at Cat Mids, and discussions with Robin at Dartford, couldn't have been better.

My 150 is now fine, and is the car I want it to be, I would have liked the 175, but I settled for a used 150 as I thought the 125 would always be wanting a little extra....If a used 175 had been about, I would have considered that, but now I know about the issues I would have no problem recommending a 150 to anyone. Also I have spoken to many 150 owners who have had no such issues and are pleased with their lot, "if it aint broke, don't fix it"

I don't know about warranties as I bought mine "pre-owned" from Cat South, who gave me a 6 month warrranty that Cat Mids honoured admirably.

Domus, suggest you ask Caterham about your warranty concerns, and test drive both, like I did if you can. Where are you test driving, Midlands ?? I should be there Friday at some point...........

Rik

Roadsport SV 1.6 Sigma 150

in Viper Blue here

As standard you get a years warranty.

I was unable to start mine after building it - it was down to a faulty earth in the wiring loom. Although frustrating that I couldn't be the one to start it, Caterham were good at getting it resolved - although stuff like this are covered in the build checks - the warrenty doesn't kick in until the car's on the road...

I've also had a number of other issues, faulty speedo, 3 radiators, plus others and have always been happy how it gets resolved under the warrenty.

Domus - Go 150 or 175.. You'll regret it if you don't.. I'm already thinking of a Duretec and mine's only been on the road 1 1/2 years :-) More power more power...

-- Shminky --

As above I would have no doubts in recommending the 150

Drive as many as you can and pick the one you like the most.

As per warranty you'll notice all/most of the remaps were outside warranty and all done FOC the same for the radiators which is the same on the 125.

Dont take the length of blatchat thread as a negative point or you'll never ride a bike, talk to a policeman or even fill a canoe with self expanding 2 part filler *wink*