Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Valve control - F1 engine

rj

Aren't they electronic Regin? I think I remember reading somewhere that they are (or were) solenoidal in operation. I could very easily be wrong of course..

Looks like I am. I did a quick Google and whilst some experiments were done with solenoids it looks like pneumatics are the norm.

Darren E

K80RUM Website and Emerald maps library

Duratec SuperlightR

Edited by - k80rum on 19 Oct 2008 09:31:37

I know Renault tried very hard to develop solenoid operated valves in their F1 engines but eventually gave up in favour of the pneumatic operation they now all have. I was told at the time that the thinking behind solenoid operation was that they could do away with cams, operate the valves electronically and controlled by the ECU which, in theory, allows infinitely variable valve timing.

A great idea if they could have got it to work reliably.

I was told about it by a chap I used to work with who is (or rather was at the time) father in law of Mike Gascoigne when he worked at Renault F1 and, naturally enough, Mike used to give little snippets of interest to his petrolhead father in law - who would then tell his petrolhead mates! *wink*

Brent

(aka Arfur Nayo)

Toyota power It's the future!

Edited by - Brent Chiswick on 20 Oct 2008 10:31:46

Infinitely variable valve lift/timing is the ultimate goal. Imagine an engine that ticks over with the equivalent of a Morris Minor cam, but then ramps things up to an F1 cam as the revs rise!

In practice a lot of other thngs would need to change as well, such as induction and exhaust lengths/diameters, valve sizes, etc. But getting infinitely variable control of the valves would be a huge step forward. There are plenty of people working on it and I've seen an engine running with hydraulically operated and controlled valves. My guess is that reliability, cost and mass of the moving parts are major problems to overcome.