Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Strange question

Miltec

If you want a precise answer you'll need to be more precise with the question. What type of 7 with what specification? Live axle or de-dion? Ital or Ford axle? Windscreen vs. aeros? Seats and trim? Wheels and tyres? etc.

If you don't need a precise answer, then 400 to 450Kg.

Might be easier to ask how much a particular engine and gearbox weigh and then subtract that from your particular 7.

Anthony

Due to import restrictions, I bought my Seven as a "rolling chassis" (fully assembled, minus engine, gearbox, and battery), with the exhaust system in the engine bay and all the miscellaneous parts, hoses, and hardware in the footwells and boot, and the shipping weight came in a bit under 400 kilos. I believe 386 kg was written on the shipping tag IIRC.

*smile* Sean

Sorry it all sounds a bit vauge, it's just a thought process at the moment.

if the live axle is that much light then it would have to be that.

wondering about the weight so I can work out how much an electric drive train would have to weight.

VX 1600 Live Axle

T440LKK

Mine is a Freestyle superwide S3 DeDion with CF wings/nose/dash/Tillets, MB 13" & A048 in 185 & 205. Weight figure provided by British Airways or equivalent. I believe I can confirm the number after I get home from work if required, but I would think for your stated purpose you're close enough with the figures above.

edit --

Okay, home now. *cool* I had it wrong. It was British Airways (BA285 LHR to SFO), but the tag reads:

Net weight (kg): 368

Tare weight (kg): 147

Total weight: 515 kg

*smile* Sean

Edited by - BBL on 10 Sep 2008 21:21:27

The Ital axle may well suffer under the torque from an electric powerplant

Why not do it properly and fit a motor in each wheel hub? No transmission loss etc...

OK unsprung mass will be an issue but it seems that technology has moved quite far recently.

My own DeDion car weighs around 450kgs dry - but this is with windscreen and wipers. MB wheels and CR500s Carbon Kevlar Tillets etc...

Should you not be more worried about the torque of the motor rather than the power?

maximum torque is available at 0RPM which coupled with all inertia and other forces on the car my be the problem?

Jack

PS: if you know that already I apologize

Emily, The Very Yellow 21

There was a video (which I probably found from a blatchat link) of an Ariel Atom with an electric motor absolutely destroying a variety of supercars on a dragstrip. Extremely impressive acceleration.

I'm not sure if there is any difference in the car's inertia at rest to its inertia at speed - its the same inertia. An applied torque is the same regardless. I would think the characteristics of application would be the important factor, plus the gearing. But I'm not an engineer.

Anthony

I understand that, my remark was more about what you said:

isn't the english (ford) live axle better able to cope with the power?

I thought your question about if the ford live axle can cope with a large amount of torque from standstill

Jack

Emily, The Very Yellow 21

Edited by - jackb_ms on 10 Sep 2008 11:10:12

I think you'll need to decide from your motor spec whether you need/ want a diff or not. It's a fair amount of weight and an electric motor speed range is very broad, plus as has been said, torque max is at 0 rpm, so you may find its unnecessary weight. Two motors straight to the hubs in series will give you a differential effect anyway.

Good luck though - light weight is the way to go. Whether the chassis can take enough weight for the batteries will be the main issue, I predict. For decent range you'll need around 30kWh capacity which ain't light....

Aero is another area of concern at higher speeds - a Caterham will be one of the lightest start-points, but not the most aerodynamic. GTM Libra (GRP monocoque)/ Matra Bagheera or Murena? (I'm giving away all my good ideas here..!) - much better aero for not much more weight.

Keep us posted..

Martin

supersported ex-Roadsports B

Having done some more research 144v battery will weigh @150kg

30 kg for the motor and 20kg for the controller and wiring etc,

so if we take BBL's weight of 368kg this would bring us in at just over 550kg.

But get this...

With the maths I've been doing, it works out that a 10hp motor would be enough and would give 0-60 of around 4-5 seconds.....

VX 1600 Live Axle

T440LKK

motor hps aren't directly comparable though, because an electric motor is rated at the maximum power it can produce for a sustained period - ie its peak power will be considerably more than this. A petrol engine is rated at its peak power - so you're comparing bosons with quarks there (to get with the zeitgeist..!)

You also need to consider the batteries bulk, and where you can site them without putting bending loads onto the chassis rails.

What AH rating are you planning on? and have you factored battery life into the cost/ benefit analysis?

Martin

supersported ex-Roadsports B

Looked at loads of batteries so far, none really gives the output I would want.

Batts would be in the Engine bay and would hopefully weigh about the same as the engine. to get the weight / speed is fine but range suffers.

VX 1600 Live Axle

T440LKK