Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Heads up on propshafts. With update for RiF

I.Mupferit

Ever since building my SV just over 3 years ago, I have had a very, very, very noisy LSD and more vibration from the driveline area than I felt was acceptable, even for a car like the 7. So while my diff was out for a rebuild by Phil at Road & Race ( *thumbup* for great service btw), I sent the propshaft off to the Propshaft Clinic in Bradford to have it checked out.

They have just called to say that the UJ's are absolutely fine, but the propshaft was waaaaaaaay out of balance to the point where they had to remove the weight that had been added to one side during manufacture and put a small weight on the opposite side. Also, he has had to add weight on one side at the opposite end as that was out by a greater margin than he felt was acceptable. His opinion was that at speed it must have made the experience quite unpleasant as I would certainly have felt it - which I did.

Interestingly though, he told me they have seen an awful lot of original 7 propshafts that were way out of balance to what he considers acceptable. So my reason for posting this is to suggest that if you feel you have a lot of drivetrain vibration, there is every chance it can be cured by the simple expedient of having the propshaft balanced. *thumbup* It does mean a diff out job on the De Dion cars but still quite easy to do and could improve the driving experience still more.

*thumbup* to the Propshaft Clinic. I have used them before and always recommend them when I supply my 4 to 5 sp gearbox conversions. Their work is very good.

Edited by - Brent Chiswick on 20 Aug 2008 12:46:29

Second *thumbup* for the Proshaft Clinic. Local to me (even tho they've moved three times) - always a good job at a good price. And willing to sell tube and offer advice for rather special prop that they didn't really want to touch (hookes joint one end, and a CV joint the other - to drive a live axle from one side of a welded up diff in a longitudinaly mounted, FWD transverse unit) for use to be able to make a successful unit. Willing to save money by modifying an exisiting shaft rather than selling you a complete new one.

Bri

Richard, I'm not certain how much yet as I just wanted them to go ahead and........................I didn't ask! 😳 *biggrin*

Anyhow, given that they only charge something like £60 to shorten the prop, renew the UJ's, balance the shaft and repaint, I can't see it costing too much. I should have the invoice when I receive the prop back tomorrow so will let you know then. *thumbup*

Danny, I too assumed a new one would be perfect but it just shows you can't take anything for granted. *eek* I'll let you know how much difference it makes after refitting next weekend.

My prop had a piece of sheet steel approx 70mm x 50mm rolled and welded to one end of the tube, which was intended to balance it out but they had to completely remove that and then fit a slightly smaller one on the opposite side. No wonder it was vibrating although I did wonder why Mrs C preferred this car to the old one! *wink*

• Area Representative

Interesting post Brent.

I suppose you have to drive several cars to find out the difference. I have only driven one Crossflow/live axle and one K/deDion combination so might not be able to judge what might be termed "excessive".

However, I am sure that testing and balancing is *thumbup*

Richard, I'm not certain how much yet as I just wanted them to go ahead and...I didn't ask!

I hope you won't get shafted!

Democratic dissent is not disloyalty, it is a positive civic duty.

Edited by - Golf Juliet Tango on 19 Aug 2008 16:43:08

*thumbup* For the propshaft clinic.

I had mine lengthened by 45mm (complete new tube), inspected and balanced. It cost £45.00 + £9.00 carriage and vat, but that was in January 07!

I have to say that there was a vibration prior to the work being carried out, but I had put this down to it being the wrong propshaft and being to short *rolleyes*

Guy S B Lowe o *arrowup*o *smokin*

ZETEC Conversion here

Just received my propshaft back, together with the invoice. Price is a very reasonable £25 for checking it over, dynamically balancing and repainting + £10 p&p.

If it cures the vibration I was experiencing then that's £35 well spent I think. I can now let the car go to its new owner with peace of mind knowing there are no problems. *thumbup*