Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Northampton Motorsport

GordonW

Had my VX HPC set up there when i went onto throttle bodies, i used the DTA management and Troy, think hes the main man up there, did the work. he commented that, although we got the results we expected, in his opinion the Weber alpha was a much better unit to work with. he was a weber dealer at that time though. cars been great and not needed any further set up for a few years now. Recommended

Kevin R

black(but sometimes orange)-ali HPC

here

Did a RR session with My Xflow, *thumbup* *thumbup*

Road seems to give a fairly accurate reading, and yes, it is painful watching the car doing power runs!

I would recomend them.

Jon

P.S I used to live in Northampton before moving up North.

RR is pretty accurate when compared against similar numbers my car has got at Emeralds. Good bunch of blokes and very thorough. Been there 3 times and no complaints from me. *thumbup*

One of our members here (I forget who) holds the record for the most power they have seen out of a crossflow on their rollers by some margin and I recall he was very pleased with NMS as well.

Don't let yourself be put off by all the Westfields they usually have around the place 😳

Edited by - Graham Perry on 30 Jul 2008 18:48:39

Wow, I have just logged on to ask the exact same question.

I was booked in with my 2.0Vx on weber alpha with Aldon as usual but they have called to cancel. And I need it re-mapped before the Fish and Chip run. So a quick read of the internet and Northampton motorsport pop up.

The recomendations seem good I will give them a call.

Thanks

Guy

Hi,

You could try these guys, they did my weber alpha set (Zetec on 45's) up on their rolling road a few years ago and I was very happy with their work.

Dennis Vessey Vehicle Repairs

Address: Fernery Lane

Barnetby

DN38 6HN

Telephone: 01652 688904

Tony

L7 EVL *evil*

Guy & Kevin

How complicated was it changing an HPC from Carbs to throttle bodies and what was the end result?

Did NMS do the whole job for you or just the final set up?

Alan

Gordon - apologies for the slight hijack

alan, my conversion was very simple apart from the setting up, done by the experts at Northampton. I used the jenvey direct to head throttle body kit from QED, this came with a loom that was simple plug and play, and a DTA management ECU to control everything. in the kit was also a high pressure pump, filter, fuel pressure regulator and all the sensors, as well as the throttle bodies and fuel rail, this kit was also available with the DCOE type throttle bodies to use on the caterham manifold, this saves cutting the bonnet. I used the standard caterham petroltank with a swirlpot. to provide constant fuel to the rail, there was a bit of additional wiring to the extra fuel pump and relay, but all simple stuff. all the high pressure fuel line i made up myself from hose supplied by Think Automotive. I also went for the kit to remove the distributor and coil at the same time. The car fired first go but didnt run well on the map stored in the ECU but after the guys at NMS had done the work the car was transformed drives much smoother and feels much more torquey, better fuel economy as well if driven carefully 😬

Kevin R

black(but sometimes orange)-ali HPC

here

Tony - thanks for the link to Dennis Vessey Vehicle Repairs, cars now booked in *wink*

Alan - I never actually swapped, when I fitted the VX engine I built it up using the whole weber alpha set up just like the JPE. Throttle bodies and management. Easy to do though. The manifold is the same and all I had to do was add a return pipe to the fuel tank, change the fuel lines and fit a high pressure pump and regualtor. I guess if you have the alpha management all you need is the throttle bodies, pump and piping? Mine ran straight away but much better after mapping. Bog standard engine set up this way gave 184bhp at Aldon and was very driveable with no flat spots or spitting as with carbs. Would recomend it. Happy to talk through offline if you wish.

Guy

Thanks guys for the comments. I think I need to talk to/visit both QED and NMS and then decide what to do.

My engine is already not standard having the Swindon Stage 1 upgrade but it is well down on the 218 bhp claimed, more like 185! This was a known problem at the time and I have some different jet settings etc that Swindon issued to get closer plus they added a dry sump as well

So I have to decide do I go the above route plus a good 3D system which I am told is nearly as good or do just change to TB's.

Something to ponder for action over the winter 😬

Alan

Latest info on the Weber Alpha/Alpha Plus divide suggests that if the ECU is in a black plastic 'box' and has PI 150 on the front with another number over 200 it is the later programmable type and OK for Northampton to work with.