Click here if you are having website access problems ×

I was bored and got thinking is 200mph possible?

Swiss_Tony

didn't Mike do 161mph a short while ago at another air strip. don't qoute me on this, i'm sure he said it would still do more if he had more road to keep going, or bigger b@lls, not sure which would apply more.

interesting that Rob's only does 137mph with 260bhp, mine's on the rev limiter at the same speed. *confused*

Duratec is the way forward!! Here

Pat, yes I did, at Brize Norton, 161 on the satnav. I think it would do more given a longer run, maybe up to 165, must give it a go someday somewhere very quiet, early in the morning on a Sunday perhaps.

The Levante would probably get somehere near it if it wasn't limited to 150. It obiously has alot more power than my car and has better gearing since it's running 15" wheels as opposed to my 13"

IF, my car had enough power the rev limiter would come in at approx 195.

GJT: A 21 is not a 7 with an aero body - the car's totally different. True, some parts are common and many parts are similar - but it's still a different car

You can take an aero body off a 7 and it's still a 7. If you take the body off a 21 you're not left with a 7.

• Area Representative

Adam

Remember that I own a 21 - I know how different it is, so we are in complete agreement there.

I doubt you can create an aero-kit Seven without loosing the "Seven-ness" of it - what remains under the body kit?

Democratic dissent is not disloyalty, it is a positive civic duty.

I doubt you can create an aero-kit Seven without loosing the "Seven-ness" of it

I don't know . . .. I'm thinking bolt on stuff, not a complete enclosed body, e.g.

1. Longer nose with smaller air intake

2. Faired in skinny front wheels with integrated fenders

3. No screen/mirrors/lights, a rigid driver's half door and a hard passenger tonneau

4. No cage, just a small hoop behind the driver's head

5. Skinnyish rear wheels and spats with bolt on side pods to cleave the air past the rear wings (which would have holes or louvres in the back of them).

6. Rigid boot cover with a spoiler extending over the rear to reduce turbulence

7. A rear diffuser to aid air flow under the car (works with the extended boot cover)

8. Fully panelled underbelly

9. Inboard front suspension (not much gain)

10. Aero wishbones (even less gain)

That's all pretty standard stuff - it's all been used since the 1920s.

So you basically end up with a salt-flats looking 7, but still very much a 7. Bung a big engine in that and with the correct gearing, I reckon it might go 200mph given a long enough run. It might not even need that much power.

Rollbar: Chuck an Levante engine in that and gear it correctly and I reckon it would have a good chance at 200mph if the tyres didn't explode.

Did they test that in a wind tunnel?

Any performance details? They'll be ecomony based ones I assume, but it might be possible to do some whizzo maths type stuff and work out what power it would need to do 200mph.

• 1 month later...
  • Area Representative

BTTT because I spent an entire working day looking after a sound system which nobody used and this topic popped into my otherwise empty head... 😳

Has anyone tested the difference which the existing, easily attached bits make?

I want quantifiable data not subjective opinion.

So has anyone taken their car out (say around a circuit) in "standard" form then swapped screen for aero, added a rear diffuser and a rigid tonneau then redriven and compared the performance?

Similarly has anyone compared the influence of the front suspension components and/or winglets? Surely Caterham Cars have some data on the influence of the CSR winglets?

Looking at Adam's list, I suppose you could compare with and without the underskin as well.

• Area Representative

David

6 to 7% improvement - not bad. Don't worry about your power - it's comparative performance which gives us the information about the aero mods.

TBH: the less power originally, the more dramatic the performance increase ifthe aerodynamics are worth it.