Click here if you are having website access problems ×

loading through transmission tunnel

tiddy1

How much load is taken through the transmission tunnel aluminium panels due to torque loading and chassis flex and may be thermal expansion of the panels?

I am wondering as on my car these panels seem to be cracking quite badly as though they are experiancing some heavy cyclic loading causing fatigue

Simon

Cracking panels sounds a bit alarming, would like to see the photos. It does sound like there is a problem elsewhere with the chassis.

My 94 chassis would creak and flex if driven over humps at an angle, the rivet holes through the ali panels had opened up allowing things to move around more *confused*

The old transmission tunnel does not really do much other than cover the propshaft. The newer one with the centre handbrake does provide some torsional stiffness to the chassis.

Nick

My thoughts were that something must have broken but I have done a careful inspection of every tube and weld (that I can see) and it all seems in one piece.

there are 4 cracks, two on each side, all about 20mm long .at the rear of the tunnel they come down from the area around the cruciform and at the front they come down either side of the gear stick opening. Iam trying to work out if they are new and hence worring as they must have grown at an alarming rate, or are slow cracks which have grown over the 14 years of hard use (62K miles) in which case not so worrying

Simon

All the ali skins on the chassis are stressed pannels and add a lot to the torsional stiffness. That is why in the 90's the rivet density increased to help further increase the stiffness. After a lot of use these could crack especially if the crack starts at a stress raiser such as a notch or fretting point.

If the chassis tubes are all OK then replace the panel and carry on, it may be you will find loose rivets in another area which could also raise the loads in that particular part of the panel.

Cheers

I have two splits in the ali tunnel cover on mine. They did not appear until I put the cage on, which, it is generally agreed, stiffens the whole chassis. I put the splits down to the fact that I stood on the tunnel to get out of the car with the cage on. Now the cage is off I have marked the length of the splits as a 'telltale' to see if they get worse.

NE Area Rep

Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer,

We'll keep the red flag flying here