Click here if you are having website access problems ×

MOT - Front Suspension & Diff

7 Sevens

I've just got back from my MOT and have a couple of problems. *confused*

The car is a 99 classic: 1.6l 8v VX, Ford five speed and a live axle. How can I tell if this is a Ford or Ital one? the garage suggests its a Ford but I can't see any markings on it.

1st problem is when jacking the front up on the near side front suspension. The bolt that holds the back end of the A shaped wishbone onto the chassis appears to be loose in the chassis rail/pickup. Is there a bush through the pick up point or can the bolt wear the hole it goes through. In effect its like the suspension hasn't be tightened up.

2nd problem I think is bearing related. The near side rear wheel when of the ground moves a couple of inches in and out along the diff line. It also appears to be leaking where the diff meets the rear drum.

Thanks in advance. I have searched the archives but I'm not sure what the problem is.

If the wheel is moving in and out, then you need the axle bearing either shimmed or spot welded, two different ways of sorting it out.

Either way, you will need new bearings pressed onto the half shafts. SPC (advertises in Low Flying) will do you exchange half shafts.

The wishbones, do have bushes in them, which you can change. You can get the bushes from Caterham, and then you need to remove the wishbone and press out the old bushes and press in the new ones.

Alex and Casbar thanks for your advice. *thumbup* I'm going to order 4 front lower wishbone bushes and replace those. May as well replace the A frame bush on the back as well.

In respect to the rear it sounds like I need new bearings and then fix them to the shaft. I'll check with my garage or as you say look up SPC.

Any more advise or comments from anyone would be handy. Yes there is air in the tyre!

Re the wishbone, apologies if this is stating the obvious but have you tried just tightening the bolt? I had the exact same problem at my MOT (with the exact same model of car) last year and that was all it took.

The rear axle does sound like it needs shimming.

Good luck!

Re the wishbone, tightening the bolt up, will probably stop it moving, but all that will do is put extra pressure on the bolt and pinch the upright in the bracket. It won't stop it moving under driving forces, if the bushes are stuffed they are stuffed and most cars at some point will need them replaced.

Sevens,

As Casbar suggests it sounds like the bearings are moving on the shaft on your axle.

If you fancy having a go yourself it's a realatively easy job aslong as you can get a local engineering firm to make you up the shim. Shimming is the favoured way to go now as (on the track) tack welding the bearings has caused shaft failures.

Cheers

Chris

The bush at the chassis end IS supposed to be trapped between the mounting lugs - assuming the mounting hole in the chassis hasn't been worn overside, the central metal tube in the bush will jam against the mounting lugs (trapping any spacer washers if they are fitted) as it should when the bolt is tight.

The bolt should never be loose - it'll move around and wear the holes in the chassis. With rubber bushes and some polyethylene bushes, the suspension movement is accomodated by flexing of the material. Some bushes work by rotating around the central spacer tube (some makes of Lancia integrale lower front wishbone bushes for example).

If the mounting holes have been worn, there is the chance of pushing the central tube into the holes - that's bad and will indeed stress the bush too much.

With the old style Triumph trunnion on the front, the same is true - the bolt needs to be tight to lock the central spacer/bearing tube in place to allow the nylon bushes to rotate on it. Loose bolts here will wear the wishbone holes.

No loose bolts! Anywhere!

Bri

Alex, Not a problem I've got an idea what now needs to be done.

Bri, Thanks for the comments. It is a trunnion set up on the front so I'm going to disconnect the wishbone and replace the bushes. I suspect it may have worn the mounting holes but will look this weekend.

Thanks. Mark

Just to update everyone.

- New front bushes solved the moving bolt problem.

- A weld had broken on the half shaft causing the bearing to float up and down it. A new bearing loctited on with a new weld and its all fixed.

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated. *thumbup*