Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Roadsport vs Superlight : (mechanical) differences ?

Slider7

Roadsport vs Superlight ?

Is it correct that a Superlight comes with exactly the same engine as a Roadsport in Supersport trim, but just has a different exhaust system ? Need to know if a Superlight with the standard cat-exhaust system will produce the same emissions as a ‘Supersport’ Roadsport ? Any other mechanical differences ???

TIA

*wavey*

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away” Antoine de Saint Exupery

• Support Team

A standard Superlight came with a 1.6 Supersport engine which was, as you say, an option on the Roadsport. The 4-1 exhaust was an option but I have seen several Superlights with the standard exhaust including catalyst. In theory the emissions in this configuration would be the same as those for a Roadsport with Supersport engine.

Other mechanical differences the SL has over a standard Roadsport:

LSD

6 speed gearbox

Wide track front suspension

adjustable spring platforms

AP Racing 4 pot front brake calipers with ventilated discs

19mm front ARB and adjustable rear ARB

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

Thanks for the info 😶‍🌫️ ... seems like it should be possible to get a Superlight homologated over here (Belgium) *wink* *thumbup*

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away” Antoine de Saint Exupery

Hi all,

From memory the superlight and superlight R both had standard chassis, but with carbon and other performance items as standard, LSD/6 speed/light flywheel/big brakes/Avon tyres. Engines where options across the range. The only chassis mods were to the R500 which had lighter front cross members initially, but as many were spec'd with windscreen it negated the weight saving so I think they reverted to standard chassis if you spec'd a windscreen.

All as I say from the old grey cells, which are dying at a great rate these days!!

Cheers

Missing Sylvia ☹️

Graham,

Apart from the flippant comments by FTH and myself, I think the OP's questions were pretty much answered seriously and correctly.

And if it helps Slider with homologation, Caterham VIN numbers make no differentation between a Roadsport and Supersport (Superlight) 1600cc engine, ie the code for both engines is R6.

Alan

The existence of chance is everything and nothing whilst the greatest achievement is the living of life.

Think I now know all I need to know *wink* ... or better 'more then I need to know' *tongue* ...

BTW, I'm going to look at a 1.8 Superlight (now Saturday) that seems to be perfect (on paper) for me ... so, fingers crossed 😬