Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Galaxy Engine - Duratec?

Willie.

I have been offered a whole Galaxy for next to nothing, and would take it, if it has a Duratec...but does it?

It's a 1999 2.3i 16v...but searchs show this as a 2295cc as opposed to 2261cc.

Is this a Zetec(ish) engine? Or is it a Duratec?

Any help appreciated.

Willie

Bother. Thought it was my lucky day.

Thanks for the information.

By the way, are the heads on the 2.3 and 2.0 Duratecs the same? Meaning, would the head of a 2.0 fit the 2.3?

Also, are all Duratecs timing chain? I've just been told by a local guy, he has 3 Focus' with 2.0 16v engines, with timing belts, not chains *confused*

Now I'm really confused

Willie

Edited by - Opposite Lock on 15 Oct 2007 16:09:30

Mike,

It wasn't a case of buying a whole car for the engine. I've just got a bit of a notion for a Duratec (Doesn't everyone?) and happened to mention it to a friend from work...his mother just parked her Galaxy in a wall and so it was mine for the taking.

Although in saying that, I would sooner buy a whole car than a brand new engine. You get it for less and you'll get loads of parts that you can flog to get some money back. Spend that money on a total rebuild and you'll find you've an as new engine for alot less money. (For your interest, I watched a 2.0 Duratec 2002 Mondeo with 38k on the clock go through the auction for £400...it had got a rear end shunt that would've been fixable).

Willie

Tim,

Could I trade in the following for an Octavia Sport?

17 Montegos (inc 1 Turbo Derv)

4 Maestros

2 Metros

9 Granadas

4 Capris

3 Rover 214s

2 Astra Estates

3 Renault 19s

2 Renault 5s

Assorted others (Nova, Fiestas, Reno 11, Sierras)

You can deliver upon collection *thumbup*

Seriously though...is that Maestro roadworthy (i.e. You can't see the road from a seated position?)

Willie

p.s. On second thoughts...you're not getting the Capris.

They're not all surviving... *thumbup* Thank goodness.

When you're 11years old, attending the big school, and your dad has a festish for Montegos...it kinda puts you off them. May they rust with haste.

Ma wrote off a pale puke/cream 1.6, Da was raging...we were estatic *wavey*

The reason for saying the above is because the price of a new engine is a very small percentage of the total installation cost and therefore there's not that much to be gained from saving a few hundred quid on a dirty old 2nd hand unit.........

.....anyway I have an aversion to cheapskate penny pinching tactics, I prefer the warm feeling of knowing I've just blown significantly more than I needed, but hey maybe that's just me 😳

R400 Duratec Build and Modification Pictures

here

Mike,

I'm 22 and have no money.

Why spend £1k plus on a brand new engine, to replace all the bearings etc with uprated ones anyway?

Why not get the whole car for £400, split it, you'll easily make your 400 back...and then spend the big bucks putting fancy stuff into it?

I can't afford to spend money on stuff I'm just going to throw out.

Willie

p.s. Buying cars is a family trait of ours...

He may be young but it puts up with a lot worse abuse on nise7ens.

Don't get us started on his other ideas about the duratec........he's trying to come up with a way of keeping the exhaust on the so called correct side.......

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here