Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R400 / K or Duratec

ruff seven

I have a new chassis, and all new parts to build a 400, I have a Caterham supplied R400r engine, however as I am just about to build this I am thinking should I buy a Duratec? I have a customer that wants my K engine assembley, so this will give me around five thousand pounds to play with, whot sort of cost is it to go duratec with all the parts needed?

look forward to views, Paul D.

Paul

On a fresh build i'd be tempted to go the Duratec route as you should be able to buy, install and fit for the 5k mark. with a little tuning 220bhp is easily available in what should be a bullet proof engine.

If you want the easy route then simply install the engine you already have.

Dave

around £10K for engine, ancillaries, ECU (Emerald), exhaust, bellhousing but excluding gearbox

That's a rough estimate for a 220bhp 2.0l based on my experience, I've done it twice now in 3 years 😬

R400 Duratec Build and Modification Pictures

here

Edited by - MikeE on 7 Sep 2007 15:07:52

Presumably that price is to buy an engine, fully built from someone like Raceline.

If you are happy to do the engine work yourslef then it will be a lot less. I built my own 185bhp engine myself and it was nowhere near £10K I'd say it was around the £5K mark although. To get to 220bhp you will need cams over an above what I did to my engine and you may want to fit rods although not strictly necessary.

I can do a run through my recipts and providea breakdown if you like.

In answer to your main question.....you fdefinitely want a duratec 😬

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here

Here we go again quoting prices that are totally meaningless. The price will depend on how much work you want to do yourself or if you want to just sign cheques and pay through the nose.

I think that one factor needs to be mentioned if the car is to be used on track with sticky tyres, if you go the K route you will need to budget for a drysump system, this is not escential for the Duratec installation.

Also I would look at the cost of ownership over five years, the Duratec will be much cheaper to run in terms of maintenance .

They are both super engines just that one has to be worked harder to deliver the beans.

Rob

Edited by - Rob Walker on 7 Sep 2007 21:05:50

Hi Rob, *wavey*

Paul is a fully qualified auto engineer and will do all the spanner work himself so that will keep the costs down to purchase price of bits only. The K engine he has has all the dry sump bits but as you say the Duratec won't need dry sumping at 220 bhp state of tune. Personally I think he should go Duratec.

Matt

Thr new CC R400 has a 210bhp, 2.0 Duratec. This consists of a change of valve springs, retainers and Raceline cams. This is done with the head in place, using standard pistons and rods. Also in the spec is ARP big end bolts, Raceline wet sump and raceline oil filter adapter. The R400 has a single throttle body plenum chamber, if you added throttle bodies you would be pretty well on your 220bhp.

If you can't do this below 5-6K I would be very surprised *thumbup*

Go Duratec, you will not regret it

Dubai Duratec SV *cool*

If you want an easy life contact Raceline, Ammo or Mick Attree who can all supply you with a nice solution. If you are willing to do a bit of work yourself and source some stuff from the US, then here is what's possible:

2.3 Basic Engine from USA here £1,125.00

Emerald 1620 fuel injection conversion kit direct from Emerald £1,328.00

2.3 Forged pistons ebay £240.00

2.3 Forged rods ebay £170.00

Raceline 250 Cams inc verniers 450.00

Raceline Oil Filter housing kit 75.00

Raceline Wet sump 345.00

Raceline Valve spring & retainer set £150.00

Raceline Lightened Flywheel £175.00

Raceline 8 1/2 Clutch Kit £150.00

Raceline Clutch actuator kit £135.00

Raceline Bell housing £245.00

Raceline Exhaust £625.00

Raceline Engine mounts £140.00

Spigot bearing & Misc plugs £10.00

Ford Starter Motor £150.00

Brise Alternator £150.00

Alternator adjustable pulley £75.00

ARP Big end bolts £ 70

Ford Pulley Bolt (1149131) £3.00

Total without VAT or any import taxes £5,811.00

You would still need to make a water rail, or get one from Mick Attree (better & cheaper than the Raceline one I have).

The thing about Duratec is that engines of moderate horsepower (250bhp 2.3) are very easy to build yourself, with no special tools required except a valve tool.

Dubai Duratec SV *cool*