Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Nitrogen in Tyres

Hurtle

While picking up my tin top after a service last night, I was offered Nitrogen for my tyres.

Has anyone tried this in there 7s, apparently you get a uniform tyre pressure regardless to what the air or tyre temperature is.

Price £1.75 per tyre.

Jas.

what an absolute load of carp!!!

Air is 71% nitrogen anyway. Plus Bohls law says that if you keep the volume constant and increase the temperatue of a gas the pressure goes up. So the comments on the other thread about pressure not changing with temp are tosh. Ok no moisture will mean slightly less change, but not zero change.

Just a great way for the garage to try and make some easy money.

I ran Nitrogen in my race bike tyres in the early '90's. Only because one of our sponsors provided the bottle and regulator for free. It was easier to carry in the van than a compressor. We didn't find any difference in running good old fashioned compressed air after that. If I though there was an advantage in using it we would have paid for it but it was never on our shopping list.

AMMO

Nitrogen is dry, compared to air. It's molecular "structure" is larger than that of oxygen, so the tyre will leak gas at a slower rate. I thought the slower leakage was a leg-pull, but is apparently true.

Being inert is also an advantage, but is not really practical *cool*

BRG Brooklands SV 2.0L Ammo Duratec 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Wow *eek* . .. . didn't realise there was such a simple way to improve the performance of my tyres and stop them from going flat - those air molecules always seem to leak out of my tyres *tongue* . . . Maybe, just maybe, the bigger Nitrogen molecules will be so big they'll automatically seal any small punctures I get *idea*

There's obviously a lot more to filling tyres with Nitrogen that filling them with that old fashioned air stuff - it wouldn't cost £10K for the equipment otherwise.

I'm off to find a garage now before they run out of Nitrogen

🙆🏻Snake oil.

Universal gas equation. PV =nRT

R is the gas constant.

Assuming that the volume of the tire V is constant, as is n, the number of gas molecules in the tyre.

Thus the pressure in the tyre is proportional to the temperature, irrespective of the gas concerned, be it air, nitrogen, helium or extraordinarium ( i can sell you this for £5 per tyre.)

I will concede that dry gas probably better than wet because at the sort of temperatures tyres operate at water is a vapour rather than a true gas, but if you are filling your tyres at 25 celcius and the air is fully saturated with water the water vapour is only contributing 0.03 atmospheres (0.45 PSI)

Gosh i feel better now 😬 😬

Nigel

I use something even better than Nitrogen;

It's an exotic mix of gasses which include Nitrogen (78%), Oxygen (20%),Helium Argon, a spash of Krypton to help the turn in and a bit of Xenon to help through those wobbly bits, and I can get it by the bucketload.

I find my grip is a lot better than it was before I fitted it. *rolleyes*