Click here if you are having website access problems ×

More wheel questions? Which to buy???

RiF

For CA07BON?????

The car we are building for Henrietta based on a 1.6 standard k Classic but with an all carbon body *wink* needs some wheels so we can take it to the 50th 😬 (no engine though). We sold the 14" and are going to get some 13" with proper rubber.

CC sell Minilites and the newer 8 spoke. Can't afford MB. Want some that don't need polishing and are pretty good with the powder coating so they will stay nice. Any comments about the current range???? Should I look else where? I know one company that sells a type of Minilight I should keep away from but can't remember who??

Next question. 6" all around with a 1.6k???? or is it worth having 8"??? Look nicer but do we really need them??? We have uprated front brakes but that is about it.

What does the power of BC think????

RiF Driving one of the first Duratec 7, and building CA07BON for Henrietta 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon andCA07BON

• Support Team

Caterham 8 spokes are nice - I have 2 sets in black - and are lighter than the minilites. Powder coat on the black ones seems a bit soft - I had a problem with one wheel where the tyre fitters managed to lift the powder coat from the edge of the rim (they replaced it for me but I suspect they were a bit unlucky).

I would stick with 6" for that power level - lighter and cheaper (and cheaper tyres)!

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

Not being pedantic here (honestly) but geniune Minilites are mag wheels and very expensive. Caterham supply rep wheels called Minatours (sp?). Think George Polley sells the same wheels so you might be able to get a deal if you buy wheels and tyres from them.

The minilite is a much copied wheel. KN, Superlite, Two Gates (though these no longer make them - if still going full stop), GB, Compomotive etc all do lookie-likies and pretty much all Sevens have either Superlites or the Minatours (are these made by KN anyone?).

Visually there is very little difference between Superlites and Minatours - the only one I can see, which in my eyes does make a difference to the point that I have tracked down a set of Superlites to replace my 6 and 7 Minatours is that the spoke faces are more tapered to a point, the spokes on the minatours are more rounded.

Don't know why I have just shared that pointless info with you (all) but there you go.

I too would suggest you get 6" minatours finished in silver all round for that power as mentioned above, but then everyone has an opinion

Dave

Edit to add - didn't properly note that the car is all carbon - the new 13" graphite wheels would probably suit it better.

Edited by - Lotus Boy on 1 Aug 2007 13:31:04

Just had this whole debate myself ...........

....... in the end decided to run with Compomotive CXR's in matt black 13", 6" at the front & 7" at the rear. Apparently this works well with the Toyo R888's I now have in the boot of my tin top 😬 (185 60 13 front 205 60 13 rear)

Also advised that they are a straight swop with no messing about with studs etc, crossed fingers on this one.

Don't like them quite as much as the Caterham ones but they look OK in black.

Simon

I'm probably biased as I'm waiting to get mine put back on, but I think the Caterham 8 spokes look the business. They're very light, and mine seem fine in terms of the powder coating.

In terms of size, I think 6" for a 1.6, unless you're sticking CR500s on, in which case the 175/55 looks a bit lost in the rear arches. IMHO the cars look better with 70 profile tyres, such as A021Rs at £43 each from Mr Polley.

BTW please give generously to Bundle's Big Charity Walk for Asthma research here Ta.

Cheers

Tom

FH54WLX

see here - UPDATED again

Thanks for all the info 😬 and the arguments too *wink*

Now more confused *confused*

Lets debate price in the equation too *wink*

So far CC:

Minilite type £76.50 plus vat in black/polished or silver

8 spoke in black or silver £85.10 plus vat in6" Have not asked about 7" but

8 spoke in black or silver £119.14 plus vat.

Any prices chaps???? Will ring around tomorrow. Only thing is Henrietta could collect tomorrow from CC so shipping would increase prices.

Think it will be either black or silver, the grey she does not like *wink* Unless they do them in "hot pearlised pink" to match the car 😬

Do wonder if with the all carbon the 8 spoke more modern look might be better, there again I like the minilights *confused*

RiF Driving one of the first Duratec 7, and building CA07BON for Henrietta 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon andCA07BON

Not all genuine Minilites are magnesium.

See here

A ha I stand corrected...said the man in orthapedic shoes (can I say that in this day and age? *confused*)

Surely pink and grey would look great 😬

You must remember that either way you will not actually be making a 'wrong' decision, which is what people seem to be worried about, I think at the end of the day it is down to personal preference and only you can decide. Just go with your heart on this.

Dave

Lightest alloys I've come across are original revolutions, with new 185/70-13's Ao21s they weigh 12.5 kg's some 2kgs lighter than 1970's Dunlops or 1.5kgs lighter than Lotus steels fitted with same rubber!! Only lighter wheel I know are Mag minilites which are V expensive, Don't know about Mbs never owned any though they're supposed to be lightish. *thumbup*

Spoke to G Polley's today, that has put a different light on it.

They say stick with 6" all round, so that is agreed.

Now they sell KN wheels in minilte style at £55 plus vat 😬 CC are £76.50 plus vat ☹️

If we were to go with CC 8 spoke it is £85.10 give an extra cost of £141.47 on a set of 4 😬

So I think black / polished KN will win unless anyone has had problems????

Also they can do A021's for £36.60 plus vat. Henrietta won't need 48's or 888 yet *wink*

*thumbup* George Polley will get it all

Not bothered about them being the lightest for Henrietta, already lost enough weight with all the carbon, can't have her blowing away 😬

When I got some wheels about five years ago for my Westfield I spoke to George Polleys and they said either KN Minators or Compomotive ML (both minilite replicas) - IIRC the KNs were about £50 each and the Compos about £70 each and the only difference were that he recommended MLs if there was going to be a lot of track work as they stood up to punishment better than the KNs - as I was primarily using the car for track days and competing I opted for the Compos *thumbup*

Richard I have both Polley and CC supplied KN Minator's in black and polished rims, the lacquer on the rims went after about 1 year, not terrible but definitely not up to your requisite standards of quality. If you go this route, expect to re-finish them in a year or two.

I have the CC 8-spokes which are much lighter and much nicer, but also like the like the Compomotive CXR's

Dubai Duratec SV *cool*

Thanks everyone, still can't decide after all these postings. Perhaps I should go with the black 8 spoke but there again I might.................. *confused*

Thinking hard, missed the possibility for Henrietta to pick them up now *confused* and would rather like to check CC's ones.

Bluenose, thanks but need new for SVA.

Edited by - RiF on 3 Aug 2007 12:38:34