Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R400 & SLR noise levels

Nick Chan

• Area Representative

Thinking of doing some trackdays and wondered what the noise is from either of these cars. Both are standard spec engines although the SLR has an Emerald fitted.

The SLR has the original exhaust with the cat still fitted (both Cat and the silencer have the black heat covers over them).

The R400 has the original R400/500 type exhaust with a cat bypass pipe on it.

Both cars run foam filters and no air boxes.

The question is will I get blackflagged from a quiet session at Donnington (98 db's)?

• Area Representative

Hi Julian,

No. The only TD I did was at Croix en Ternois and there was no meter or restriction at all. I always thought that it was remarkably quiet (when compared to some other BEC's) and certainly quieter than the replacement cars.

CT- thanks for the response. I suppose you speak from experience? It saves me £175 though if I booked on to Mav's day in November ☹️

Cheers

Nick

The BEC has gone - now onto an R400!!

Nick, I can't make a quiet day, with a R300 on rollers and a 7 inch cat racing can. Was ok at Castle Combe the begining of the month though and have been ok at all other circuits. Haven't tried Goodwood though.

• Area Representative

Thanks everyone for the replies. Looks like Donington is off the list then unless I do some upgrades to the car ☹️ So it will have to be Oulton Park instead 😬

Nick

The BEC has gone - now onto an R400!!

Nick

I have an SLR with 7" can it is standard car and I have done days at most tracks with no problem, they test at 3/4 revs so 4500rpm and I get between 86dba and 93dba (depending on how accurate I can get the revs), my friend has R300 and he struggles but this is mainly induction noise as the roller barrels are very loud.

Allister

Slysee - you've been lying about your rev limit haven't you *nono* SLRs are redlined at 8,000. 3/4 of 8,000 is 6,000 by my reckoning.

Nick, even with Reverie airbox and 7.25 inch Raceco, I regualarly test at 102db....at 3/4 of my redline - 5,500 *redface*

But I do need to repack the silencer - Q for Ammo...do you still have some of that packing available?

• Area Representative
they test at 3/4 revs so 4500rpm and I get between 86dba and 93dba (depending on how accurate I can get the revs)

Yep - tried that one at Oulton last time I took the VX by saying it redlined at 6k 😳 to get away with a 4.5k limit but the tester knew better and had me rev up to 5.5 instead *eek* Still comfortably under the 105 but I can see me losing my fee at Donington!

Nick,

I wont bother with Donnie, not without an airbox

I got black flagged there in my zetec last time and that was alot quieter than the SLR

A chap at our meet has an airbox on his SLR (although he has roller barrels) he brought it from DT for about £150. Its very slim so with a different back plate might fit swan necks without the need for bonnet mods

I should be able to get some more details at our local meet on Thurs so ill let you know

Although I love Donny I doubt I'll be going back ☹️ Blackflagged recently - I have a 1.8 K slightly modified with Jenvey DTH TB's with Bernard Scouse airbox, Powerspeed 4-2-1 (repacked the day before) - too noisy on drive by (and I thought I was lifting sufficiently!). A year before I had the same trouble and this was with the standard plenum and single TB (with the 4-2-1 though)! In contrast at the MSE Keevil day the day after Donny, I was tested at 92dB(A) static at 4500rpm. I guess I know where to spend my money now.

Grubster - I would blame your crappy powerspeed silencer rather than donnington Park.

There has been many coments on the excessive noise levels from the powerspeed silencers .

the airbox would have sorted your inlet noise .

as for the consistency of static tests . Many venues only do it as its part of their licence. I would take some of the tests with a pinch of salt . Also the readings on staic can be very different to the drive by results depending on the design and quality of silencer. the noice can be totaly different on part / full throttle under load.

Edited by - Dave J on 4 Jul 2007 07:45:07