Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ron 95 or 98 in Duratec R400?

dickbowyer

CC owners handbook printed last year says use unleaded Ron 95 versions for all but for R3/4/500 which should use Ron 98. Presumably that was in the "preduratec" era. In my fruitless attempt to put fuel in new Duratec R400 could only find Ron 95, Ron 97 and Ron 99. When I do eventually find a way of filling the car except by stuffing my petrol can filler tube in the aero filler and then sticking the nozzle in that, which Ron should I use?

Dick

Prisoner Superlight SV R400

I've always run mine on 95ron, 4500 miles 3,500 of which on track and it's been fine. BTW I have the standard ford pistons and slightly longer duration cams than the R400 so you should be fine on 95RON too

R400 Duratec Build and Modification Pictures

here

I thought all CC Duratecs were Cosworth *eek*

BRG Brooklands SV 2.0L Ammo Duratec 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

I understand that Minister build the CSR260 engine and the Race C400 2L duratec engine. Cosworth are not building them any longer.

Caterham themselves build the R400 210 bhp 2 l duratec road engine in the workshop in dartford - I saw a row of 2 L duratec engines in the workshop the other week. The engines have a change of camshaft, front cover, sump, water rail and alternator mounts - most of which is either fabricated by Arch or castings scourced from Raceline. Only the cams are the internal engine change.

oil pressures wont be the same as the C400 race cars as you should be running a different oil.

My 2 L duratec runs at 6bar stone cold idle, 3.8 bar fast idle (3000rpm) when warmish and 2bar idle with very hot oil @ 1000rpm and 3.5 bar very hot oil temps @ 4000 rpm. I'm just fitting a thermostatic oil cooler - those that tell you you dont need one dont drive hard enough *tongue* as the evidence is conclusive from private individuals and caterhams own testing that a cooler is needed.

The road r400 duratec does come with a oil cooler - but caterham are still refining the instalation. It doesnt coem with an apollo tank.

The engine should run on 95 ron petrol. But Caterham may advise 98 ron on track .

here is C7 TOP

Taffia Area Rep *thumbup*

Edited by - Dave Jackson on 28 May 2007 09:04:21

Thanks Dave.

My 2 day old "Road" R400 has no oil cooler unless I am blind. Does that mean that CC are still refining where to put it on my car *confused* Are you sure it should have an oil cooler, in which case will need to contact to ask for fitment when they have refined where to put it. Hot oil/low oil pressure was always an issue with my old x-flow super sprint until I fitted oil cooler. Never cured oil surge with a wet sump though.

Dick

Edited by - dickbowyer on 28 May 2007 10:23:13

Dick

You may have a Modine cooler. Usually a black lump fitted in between or above the oil filter with a coolant hose going in and out of it. I have seen these fitted to Cosworth engines and I think CC fit them too.

"those that tell you you dont need one dont drive hard enough" 😬 😬 😬

To all others my advice is monitor your oil temeperature. If you only hit 110 degrees occasionally leave it alone. Plenty of lower powered 2 litres out there with no oil coolers and no problems. If you use a good oil, occasional excursions to 120 degrees and beyond are OK. In you case Dick I would think that you have the Modine already.

Personally I don't drive hard all the time (or possibly ever? :-) so I really didn't need one on my old 2 litre, with the new one we will see. Not all engines are identical. Some may get hotter than others.

As for fuel I always used 95 octane on the road and stuck 98 for the track for safety, which is what I think a lot of people do. Best check with your engine supplier as at the end of the day that is who you should really be asking and just take what you read here as helpful advice rather than gospel.

AMMO

Edited to correct bad spelling and punctuation. Bet there are few errors still there!

Edited by - AMMO on 28 May 2007 11:13:18

dick,

I did reply to your post in tech talk, you should have an oil cooler in front of the radiator. this whole cooling issue has been changing constantly since I got mine in early March. If you contact CC they will probably tell you that they will ensure that you have the latest coling system at post build check, whether you are happy with that only you can decide. I can only say that from my experience the R400 has not been fully developed prior to supply to customers. *mad*

Cooler is Mocal 10 row.

Barry

R400 Duratec No. 001

Edited by - BAZZA on 28 May 2007 11:22:26

Barry

The engine is in its infancy and CC are a small manufacturer. As long as they put things straight in the end. Must be annoying for you though.

Thanks for the info on the ten row oil cooler. I was sure they also fitted the Modine at some point but maybe I imagined it.

AMMO

Ammo,

I do take your point and do agree with it in general, but only I and CC know what has gone on with my car since the placement of my order and I feel that I have been let down, but will only resolve things by dealing with CC in a good way not by whinging on here about them. I am in a bad mood having seen another long weekend go by without being able to finish the car when at the end of last week it looked like I would. 😔

Dick

R400 will have an oil cooler, no apollo and no modine. Unless you are are going to do lots of hard driving straight away there is no real reason not to run without the cooler. It should not stop you getting the car running, and is quite straight forward to fit at a later date.

Barry

Sorry to hear this is still going on, I thought you were close to finishing the car when I was over there.

However I do think your positive attitude towards CC is very constructive and the best way to resolve this.

Look forward to seeing the car on the road in the not to distant future. *wavey*

Guy SB Lowe o *arrowup*o *smokin*

The ZETEC is now running here

Oh dear, CC not fully developing the car....they've had that Duratec knocking around in narrow chassised cars for long enough - back in 2001/2 Minister had one in a chassis....I remember some teething problems with SVs - minor stuff, like there being a lack of appropriate weather equipment....

Despite a few niggles which I am sure CC will sort *confused*, my R400 is an absolute joy 😬. Managed to put 240 miles on the clock since Saturday despite the rain here in the south and difficulty filling up with petrol. Makes my old live axle 7 with a 1700 x-flow look like it was out of another century (which it was-mid 80's)! Can't wait to use more than 4000 rpm on a dry road.

Dick

Well I've been advise by someone who builds caterhams for a living (and so knows his stuff including several Duratec R500s) that the new R400 Duratec is a stonking car *thumbup*

A friend of mine picks his up this week so will be interesting to do a back to back comparison with mine to see if things have moved on in the 3 years *wink*

R400 Duratec Build and Modification Pictures

here

I haven't seen the need for an oil cooler, however, I've been on track all day today and at one point after about 15 hot laps the oil temperature was nudging over 100. There were two long straights at the track where there was sustained high revs.

So while I wouldn't fit one for the road if I was doing a lot of track days I would.......so that I didn't have to ease off to let it cool down.

Water temp was a solid 80 - 85 all day

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here