Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sweetest Seven Motor?

Immovable Object

Evening all.

Newbie Alert! Well, just about to take the plunge into Seven ownership, having had a couple of (dont lynch me) TVRs. I cannot really make up on a car, because I cannot get my head around what engine to have, so was wondering what general concensus was about the quintessential Seven engine...

My impressions from 6 weeks of solid research are:

- that Crossflows are athsmatic,

- 1.4K sweet, but have no torque,

- 1.6K have some torque and are really revvy,

- 1.8K torquey but cant rev enough

- 8V VXs are heavy, but unburstable

- 16v VXs are heavy enough to affect handling, but are pretty ballistic.

Given I have a lust for top-end power....what should I look for? And are there any other considerations..

Thanks all - and look forward to meeting some of you for a blat in the near future

BECS? Whassat?

I'd like a Duratec, but beyond budget, I fear. I'm looking at £12500 tops.

1.8VVC...now that's appealing. I didnt know you could get those. Was that an upgrade engine, or standard fit by Caterham?

In terms of power, I'm used to approx 300bhp/ton (as served up by my old Tuscan S), so I guess I was looking for in region of 250-300bhp/ton in a Seven, to get similar performance. That would mean I'd need about 150-180bhp in a Seven....

Edited by - Immovable Object on 26 Apr 2007 05:54:19

Keith,

Welcome to BC.

BEC = Bike engined car such as this one.

Aslo come in Megabusa abd Blackbird variants. All built in small numbers and quite a different beast compared to others. Even lighter and nimbler with a range of power outputs.

Steve.

West Sussex AO

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear

Edited by - Steve Newman on 26 Apr 2007 06:34:51

Morning Steve!

Thanks - BEC, eh? Another term to file away in pursuit of sounding like I know what I'm talking about at the next area meet!

I've seen a couple of BECs on YouTube, and they sound the business, but they do seem pricey - due to rarity I guess.

I think I'll cut to the chase and focus on 1.8K (V.V.C if I can find it) or, a 1.6K if its in the right car.

Cheers

Do what I did, get a 2.0L Vx. You'll be able to find a nice one with your budget. Standard cars have 165BHP on injection and 175 on carbs, I think *idea* This will give you the power you're looking for and they're easy to get to 225-240BHP if you have the cash, more if your pockets are really deep 😳. Lots of nice, easy, lazy power 😬 😬 😬

VX HPC - Loud and proud here

Watch out, whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly

Heavy steering *eek*. No. just buy a freestyle pushrod, and you'll get very light steering. *tongue*

For my two penneth. for £12500, you'll get a very nice 2.0 VX. unless you are going to hoon it around a track a lot, you wont notice the SLIGHT defficiency in the handling of a VX. Lazeeeeeeeeeey power is nice.

Last year at Lemans, driving around with an R500evo, superlight R CSR200 and R300, it was noted buy all other drivers that me and mr CSR were changing gear far less than anybody else and going just as quickly *tongue* .Makes for much less frenetic driving. But then that is what you may be looking for *tongue*

RED 2.0 HPC 230BHP *thumbup* *smile*

*arrowup*AAHH, takes me back to the old days,18 Yo driving my dad's supersprint. *smokin* *smokin*. Used to love that car. *wink* was gutted when he sold it for a jeep wrangler *cry*

Doh nut you are quite right. it was bloody quick.

RED 2.0 HPC 230BHP *thumbup* *smile*

Sorry...To clarify what I meant, Peter T, I read in several places that the 1.8K, as standard, starts getting valve clearance issues if you use more agressive Cams, and therefore needs more (£££) surgery to liberate high specific power (100bhp/ltr+). I'm certain that after such surgery, they can rev like bejezuz...

Yes it was a tongue in cheek answer, you are correct in terms of a standard engine and unless you throw thousands at it it will not rev. *wink*

The K engined cars are very neutral handling due to the engine being a lot lighter than the old boat anchors (XE) *nono* IMHO *thumbup*

R500 260 BHP Mango Madness CAR NO-37

After driving a K for a while, the XE does feel very heavy and reluctant to turn in. On fast corners, a high powered XE works very well - you get a bit of front end looseness then apply power to neutralise it out. Even a klutz like me can get it to 4 wheel drift through corners like coppice at Cadwell. On slow corners, it simply will not turn in as keenly as a lighter K car but if well set up, it can still be very effective.

For road use, the K cars are lighter, more nimble and the standard engines are very good. I think a K R300 or 400 is pretty much as good as it gets for all round use.

I still love my Vx though but the above is an honest opinion.

Most people reckon on a K series supersport being a great compromise on road. A lot love the 1.4kss as it is very sweet sounding and performs a bit too. 250 bhp/tonne isn't slow. You *do* need to get it past 4k rpm though for the thing to perform, if you drive it at 2000rpm like my Dad does every car then you wioll be diasappointed.

On track most say 200bhp is reqd. How about a Supersport (138) to start with this summer then a few tuning bits later? Or buy an R300 from the off.