Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Transmission Whine

Graham King

I have recently picked up my first Caterham (pre-owned), a 1998 1.8 K Roadsport 5spd, from Caterham, and extremely happy with it I am (now I know why I saved for so long).

I have however noticed a whine from the transmission, not sure if from the gearbox or diff, when lifting off and coasting on half throttle. Under power all sounds fine. This whine disappears if I press the clutch. I have also noticed a slight rattle from the gearbox area on tickover, that also disappears when the clutch is pressed. Both of these only occur when the car is fully warmed, the car has only just been serviced by Caterham, so I assume the oillevels are correct.

The car is still under warranty so I will take it back to be checked but I would appreciate it if anyone has any ideas as to what the cause may be, or am I simply concerned over nothing and they all sound like this. I want to ensure that I am not simply fobbed off (by Caterham) with trite answers and that if their is a problem or a potential problem it is sorted out under warranty rather than later at my expense.

Any help greatly appreciated guys.

Thanks.

R7 GPK

If the rattle on tickover goes when the clutch is depressed then it's the thrust bearing

But as with Paul's post on the diff I think they all do that!

Mine seems to sound like every bit of the transmission system is just about to disintegrate but it seems to keep going perfectly ok

Thing is you have to approach the car with a different set of values to highly developed everyday cars, If my beemer made a noise I'd be round to the dealer like a shot but with the 7 it's part of the character!

enjoy the experience!

Mark

They do all make a fair bit of noise from the diff. Not only is it part of the character but it would be very difficult to hide. Afterall remember that you are sitting virtually on the diff. this combined with bugger all sound proofing means you hear the transmission.

My friend who has an Elise commented on the diff whining (it was the only thing the Elise did better). But I did have to point out he was a long way from the diff in his Elise!

"First motion shaft whine Sir? They all do that!"

True to a lesser or greater degree! The light weight flywheels and tuned engines with a slightly lumpier idle do it to a greater degree. Mine does!! Sit at traffic lights and it can sound awful until you put your foot on the clutch pedal and it all goes quite in that dept.

You are among friends!!!

Well that lot has put my mind, if not at rest, well, somewhere else.

My new last year, now only 1200 miles roadsport has a very noisy transmission except under load - constant speed cruising or over-run it is v. noisy. Was going to complain, esp as 6 spd box is leaking oil quite well as well (might still do so over that).

I've driven seven inspired cars for over 10 years, so that the noise didn't bother me - worried me because my Westfie1d had an old 5-speed box, mounted at an angle to allow me to PCT it, so the oil level was permanently low as it ran out the tail shaft and the diff was pretty old too - car was 12 year old and the bits older still. And it was still quieter than the new Cat - especially with roof on.

But if they all do that . . .

Bri

My recent 1.6K roadsport had similar problems with the diff - it whined really badly of 40mph - so much that Caterham replaced it at the post build check - I suspect this is due to too much preload on the pinion - the new one doesn't whine but has some backlash in it that you notice when changing gear or on the overrun - again I suspect "they all do that" - Oh - and the diff drips oil !

Bri - if your 6spd is seriously noisy AND leaking oil I'd be incvlined to get Caterham to check it out. I know of at least one 6spd box that was replaced owing to a fault (think it was leaking) that they acknowledged. The symptoms didn't show themselves on that car for a few miles either (probably similar mileage to your own).

My 6spd isn't the quietest around, but I like the noise it makes so don't notice it. I think my diff's pretty quiet - but it's so long since I drove the thing that I can't remember!

As far as I'm aware, having spent much of my time in the "quiet room" reading car mags and having worked in the oil industry etc etc, there is no independently verified evidence that the likes of Slick50/90/2002 actually do anything beneficial.

I realise there are always odd things that slip by, but I agree with the theory that if these products did stand up, the manufacturers would be dropping them in their machines at the outset (or they would have been bought up by Shell etc).

Stand to be corrected but I'd avoid them. 6spds and diffs etc are sensitive to what's put in them. and they're expensive to replace for the sake of a little noise...

If the noise really does get irritating, get a pair of ear plugs - cheaper and will definitely work without damaging anything (unless you push them too far into your ear, but that's another story).

Mikehoile.

Phil Stewart of Road & Race Transmissions told me to NEVER put any additive in the g/box oil. The synchros actually need some friction to work so reducing that friction just ruins the set-up. Then, the stuff can't be got rid of even with a full oil flush/change as it gets ingrained into the metals. Interesting too is that the 5 speed box is self lubricating as it is in cast iron, but the sixer in ali is not.

He says that the Redline MTL is good so I'd use that.

• 2 weeks later...

As a footnote to this, I rang Caterham - nice lady sent me a new hazard switch (works all time rather than injust the right spot!), a new temperature sender (works all the time rather than at any time other than when you want to know engine temp!) and a new speedo drive oil seal for the box.

Dangled rear of car from crane at work and changed seal. then made the mistake of undoing the filler plug with car at extreme nose down angle - loads of oil on the floor! Re-filled with car sat flat!

Anyway, checked diff oil - looked like grey head & shoulders - that creamy, silky looking stuff from all the metal particles in it. the filler plu magnet had a load of particles stuck to it as well. Seesm that the whine comes from too tight a clearance on the CWP - mate who's a g/box rebuilder (tho' wont touch diffs), suggests adjusting the output castellated rings in the smae direction a notch at a time to give more clearance - is this the way to do it?

With some new oil in the diff, it's a lot quieter.

Bri

PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT touch the diff settings in any way!!!!!!!!

The whine is nothing whatsoever to do with anything 'too tight'. It may well be as a result of the pinion height being incorrect but far more likely a poor gearset.

Your gearbox mate should do just that - stick to gearboxes and that would worry me!

Steve B

Edited by - sjwb on 14 Apr 2002 09:43:10

Hi Chris. Thanks for your advice - I bought some of the Slick product some months ago, but luckily never put it in as I was wary. Some years ago everyone was raving about molyslip which I did use in another vehicle without problems. I'll put up with the noise in the 7.

Steve, thanks for the advice, but I think thats why my mate refuses diffs! Was only a suggestion.

I'm leaving it, even thought it does appear to be machining itself to pieces, as I'm thinking of changing the ratio to a more relaxed one - its a little too low for most of the driving I do with the 6spd - anyone any recommendations - I remember seeing some a while ago on here, but a long search failed to find them again.

Bri

My 1.6 SL sings to me, especially in fourth gear. I like it that way. I feel like 'we' are going for a drive and she loves the way I drive her so much that she wants to sing her enjoyment....

Now where did I put those tablets? Oh, hello, it's those nice men in those fetching white coats again....