Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How do you test the starter motor?

Paul Gibb

Having just reinstalled my Vx engine I now cannot get the starter motor to turn over *mad*. Silence on depressing starter button and an ominous click from the starter on releasing it *confused*.

Shift lights and dash lamps are on & fuel pump primes with ignition on. The battery is apprently fully charged with 12.4v across terminals with ignition dropping to 11.6v with depression of starter button. Boosting with my external battery pack has no effect ☹️.

I have inspected and cleaned earths to block and attemted to test the starter by isolating it and applying +ve from a spare charged battery to the terminals - nothing happens 😔 should it? Last night I was reduced to going round in circles completely knackered hoping that something would change whilst my back was turned or I was making coffee - it did not *cry*

If I remove the starter how can I test taht it is functioning (& how will it earth if removed from the block?)

Any thoughts most welcome as I hope to leave for Llandow v early on Friday am. As I will probably not have acces to blatchat until return from work today apologies for lack of replies to your suggestions which will all be most appreciated *thumbup*. Please bear in mind when writing that you could write what I know about electrics on the back of a very small postage stamp.

L7 FUN

There are 2 parts of the starter to test and it can be done in situe with a set of jump leads or similar.

1 disconnect the battery,

2. connect jump leads or flying leads to known good battery

3. clamp the -ve lead on to the starter body, or any good earth

4. touch the +ve onto the terminal on the back of the starter. this is the big one which is connected to the solenoid by a big wire

the starter should spin, but not engage with the flywheel

if it does then the motor part is ok

next test the solenoid

Keep the earth connection and touch the +ve onto the solenoid terminal ( the one with the thin wire attached)

this should result in a hefty clunk as you hear the solenoid pull in

if this works then the solenoid is ok and you should start troubleshooting wires and relays

Simon

Paul,

I would test it on the car. You should have a heavy cable from battery +ve to the main +ve terminal on the starter motor and the block should also be connected to the -ve of the battery by a heavy cable. All you need to do is take a thin bit of wire from battery +ve to the actuator (small terminal) and the starter motor should operate. If nothing happens and your battery is fully charged then suspect the pre-enguage solenoid.

Rob

Sounds like you might have just done this;

"attemted to test the starter by isolating it and applying +ve from a spare charged battery to the terminals - "

The easiest (but not neccessarily the safest) way to test a starter's windings is to take a reasonably thick bit of wire from the positive battery terminal to the terminal that has the wire on that goes into the starter's casing.

On a pre-engaged starter, that will just kick it over. On an inertia starter (with no piggyback solenoid) it will engage it.

Make tis test a very short one. a quick flash across the terminal will tell you whether the windings are open circuit. (5hagged).

Wear some gloves and Safety glasses. *eek*

Not for the faint hearted and I'm sure Health and safety Man will be along in a moment to nail me to the wall. *nono*

Please feel free to ignore these ramblings at the faster typing more accurate thinkers above have it covered. 😳

Edited by - susser on 23 Mar 2007 08:30:29

Paul

IIRC you are running the small 233mm flywheel with the offset drive starter.

I cannot help with the testings as its more than covered above, however i have a spare offset starter to suit the flywheel if you wish to borrow it.

Cheers

Dave

Doubly agree with off the car testing. I've sent a starter solenoid core an inch past my left ear and right through a paneled wooden fence *eek*.

Don't go there *nono*; if it's off the car, best getting your local garage to test it if you value your health.

Alex McDonald

A loud 1700 SS

Off-topic I know, but I recall a college lecturer 30+ years ago tell us never to hand-hold stuff around a lathe in the metal-working machine shop.

Same chap wanted to test the output from his cars dynamo (yes - that ages it !), so he clamped the shaft in the jaws of the chuck, held the body of the dynamo in his hands (but dead straight mind you !), then had someone start the lathe on a slow speed.

You've guessed it - dynamo flew out of his hands and clear over our heads (fortunately ) and hit the floor 20 feet away !!

Exit one rather embarrassed lecturer *nono*

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking...

And racing around to come up behind you again. photos

Well thank you all for your advice on testing, your clear explanations & your very generous offers to lend spares *thumbup*. The fault is definitely located within the starter which is making some contact with the flywheel ring gear but not turning over.

On the plus side this is easily fixed and I can arrange to pack a spare in future as I do with most other of my non standard ancillaries *smile*.

L7 FUN