Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Mintex M1144 brake pad performance when cold

MusCat

Had a couple of instances after fitting new front pads when under very hard braking (on the road) the back locked up before the front. Live axle - standard disks/Mintex M1144 pads on front, standard drums/shoes on the rear. All appears fine on the track - i.e. fronts lock first (not that I try to lock the wheels all the time)

My initial thoughts are that M1144s, being fast road/competition pads, do not perform well when cold and so the drums are working better and locking first. But I find it hard to believe that the drums will perform better than disks with M1144 pads under any condition.

Been hunting around for figures for the performance of M1144s when cold - all I can find are statements that M1144 perform excellently from cold and graphs that only start at 50oC (showing friction at 0.45 which is pretty good). Is 50oC "cold"? Also they say that they need to be bedded in for 50 miles before undertaking emergency stops.

So:

Do I fit a brake bias valve to adjust the line pressure going to the rear brakes when on the road?

Do I put it down to bedding-in – I thought I had bedded them in but I don’t use the car that much and with it being light on the brakes they might need extended bedding in time. I admit it hasn’t happen recently, but then again I’ve been careful not to lock up as I don’t want to end up turning the car around under hard braking.

Do I look for an other reasons for the problem?

Any thoughts?

Tim

Tim,

I have a similar set up to you IE m1144 front standard drums rear, there is no way I can get the rears to lock first in any conditions. I am absolutely festidious with the brakes and they are always in 100% condition.

As for bedding in, I now go with the recommendtions of the UK supplier, which is contradictory to the paper work from Mintex although I've seen two different recommendations from them over a couple of years with the same material. The UK supplier recommends a couple of miles of light breaking followed by very hard braking until they start to fade, them leave them over night. I've found this gives them better initial bite than any thing else.I find the initial bite to be very good even from stone cold.

Cheers

Chris

I was recently informed that you need to abrade old discs thoroughly with P60 in order to remove the layer that the old pads will have imparted. Without this the braking perforance will be severely compromised.

How many miles do you have on them? I use them (on standard calipers and discs) and found that even after the suggested bedding in they initially wern't great, but they seem to have come good after around 400 road miles. They are now very good from cold and a good match for the standard DD rear brakes.

The thing I noticed after fitting 1144 pads to the front of my SV and bedding them in was it was possible to lock the front wheels quite easily if the brakes were applied too abruptly. This was previously impossible with the standard pads. However, if the brakes were applied more progressively to maximum foot force (I guess allowing weight transfer to the front) they didn't lock up.

Much better than standard pads otherwise *cool*

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)