Click here if you are having website access problems ×

DIY Lowered Floor

Paul Deslandes

I made some initial scribbled measurements but Paul's drawings will most likely be much more useful *thumbup* If they help at all, I took some snaps of a floorpan before fitting it, which you can find on my sitehere - they may be useful in comparing the drawings to the finished article.

Best of luck with it - It's got to be cheaper than the imported version.

*idea* BTW - The lowered floorpan that I took my measurements from and which in turn, Paul's may well be based on needed the rear outer corner cut to clear the A-frame bolt on my car which is a 99 De-Dion. I'll get some pics of it over the weekend and add them to my lowered floor section. I don't think it has had much impact on the strength once rivetted in place but now it's fitted, I plan on adding a strengthening tie from the chassis to the floor when i box in the little chunk I removed.

May be a silly question with all this talk of ally and DIY but would there be much interest in a Carbon Fibre lowered floor pan?

I know of a local company that may be able to make the necessary mould and manufacture such an item. He's already indicated a very reasonable price for flat sheet CF. If there is reasonable interest I'll make further enquires on approx cost etc.

I didn't see any such panels on the Carbonbits site although RiF may have plans if he knows there is interested.

Trevor *cool*

PINK and Proud and LOUD

The flat sheet carbon was for another project.

Yes he would have to make a mould for the lowered floor. An indication of potential demand would have a bearing on the unit price, as the mould cost per unit becomes less the more units are made.

Trevor *cool*

PINK and Proud and LOUD

The NS4 alloy used for the current flat and lowered floors is extremely strong, try hammering a dent out of it and you will see. one large stone, bolt etc would go straight through a carbon floor unless you made it pretty thick or addded Kevlar

Simon

I have been watching this as I do have thoughts of sometime doing a lowered floor but it certainly will not be cheap. Our standard floor is 8 layers of carbon thick and £240 a side. Any moulded floor will be more plus I think there will need to be some additional strengthening added that will increase cost. At that price the market will mostly go for ally I am sorry to say.

PS I am just about to try out my carbon floor with carbon U for the seat. I will see what it is like after a trip to Stoneleigh *wink*

RiF Flying even faster in my very bright yellow 226bhp Duratec 7, with internal kevlar/carbon panels and pushrod suspension 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon

Edited by - RiF on 26 Apr 2007 13:05:26

• 5 years later...
  • 8 years later...

Made my own out of 1.2mm aluminium sheet for my 89 xf where the floor is non structural as the seats are mounted on steel straps between the chassis rails. The lowered pans are only the rear section dropping the rear by 50mm. New steel straps welded up to create sharp angles to follow the floor pan profile's made out of 30mmx4mm steel

Floor pan corners ally brazed. Having removed the rear half of the old flat floor sheet the 2 new lowered pans left the normally boxed in tunnel open so a small removable flat centre section recovered the prop shift so still enclosed.

Cost was about £30 for the ally sheet and about £12 for the steel straps plus another 10 or so for sundries such as welding/ brazing rods, silicone sealant and pop rivets. Bargain and much lighter than a full lowered pan in 2mm structural ally