Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Jill Judd half roof

Stationary M25 Traveller

I have been recommended to get one of these, as far more practical than the full hood.

Have got prices from JJ at softbits for sevens.

Before I order, is there anything I should know, or beware of ?

I have seen on their website the potential need for a locking popper on the front boot cover mount and on the boot cover at the same place - anyone got any comments on this - is it necessary for road use, how easy/risky to fit ?

Cheers

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking...

And racing around to come up behind you again.

It is a double popper that is supplied with the kit. Very easy to fit and is definatly recommened for road and track use.

Nothing else, except to say you may well need to sell your full hood, as they are so usable and offer excellent protection form the elements (rain / snow / sun / etc)

Nothing but praise. Fitted mine on Sunday, took 15 minutes. Went out and got caught in a torrential downpour. Great test. Some mist/spray round the back, but nothing significant. I understand they are good too with the doors off. Can't wait to try it with the half doors.

Makes the full hood sort of redundant. I've taken mine (and the hood sticks) off, but I'll keep it in store for now.

Recommended.

Only thing to remember when deciding the full hood is redundant is that a half hood gets you very wet if you get stuck in heavy traffic and driving rain. And the boot cover isn't waterproof when using the half-hood, so you need drybags for your luggage. Found that out when arriving on a french campsite afetr 6 hours in heavy rain on the autoroute. Dripping wet sleeping bags aren't nice at that point.

BTW please give generously to Bundle's Big Charity Walk for Asthma research here Ta.

Cheers

Tom

FH54WLX

see here - UPDATED again

If you're not in "the first flush of youth" and fully flexible the "easy-in" option might be worth considering.

It's basically a zip which enables part of the roof to be un-zipped out of the way to ease access.

Don't know how much this increases the price ?

ISTR some discussion on here recently saying that it was a good mod.

Dave.

X-flow(er) powered

Not quite youth-flush, but can get in under full roof, so I think I'll go for the standard half roof, especially as it only seems to be on the drivers side !! SWMBO wouldn't be too impressed otherwise !!

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking...

And racing around to come up behind you again.

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 28 Feb 2007 12:56:42

As an observation, I don't find the boot any less waterproof with the 1/2 hood on than with no hood on.

In fact, the straps for the half hood can actually help to lift the boot cover fractionally where they enter alongside the roll bar braces, so reducing the poling on the top.

Edited by - Ian B on 28 Feb 2007 15:15:27

*arrowup* *arrowup*Ian, that depends on (a) how loose the boot cover is, esp if you remove the hoodsticks, and (b) how much luggage is strapped to the cage. See piccies in my sig for an example.

BTW please give generously to Bundle's Big Charity Walk for Asthma research here Ta.

Cheers

Tom

FH54WLX

see here - UPDATED again

I am looking to order at the moment for a tall FIA bar as this is the only way I will stay dry.

I am working on a design to go with the car *wink*

I have asked if they can make those wind brake things to stop back draft (not that I have a hair piece or anything) but to make it more enclosed from spray etc *confused* 😬

The CarThe Club Built

Vvvrrrooomm

Edited by - MarcNS on 28 Feb 2007 16:47:38

I see what you mean Tom, but if you remove the hoodsticks (that keep the boot cover raised), or put luggage on top of the boot cover that presses it down, then that's not really a drawback in the design or use of the half hood is it *wink*

Have you thought about getting Softbits to make up a new 'flatter' boot cover to use without the sticks.

She might even be able to do one with a couple of velcro straps that you could attach to the half hood straps to pull the boot cover up slightly (in fact she could probably do that to the cover you have if you didn't want to go to the expense of a new one)?

Ian - MI 5EVN - Slightly Vider SVelte model 😬 now repainted to match the Autocom headsets 😳

I'll have to own up as the designer of the 'Easy In' for Jill Judd. I'm '64' and 6' 1" so it was a necessity for getting into my 'Super Sprint' (1995). Am a regular reader of Blat Chat but not too good technically with replies etc. I've got an 'easy in' hood and it works and is lots less claustrophobic, but have only used it once in 4 yrs. Prefer the wind and noise just like rock music!!

So, DeeDee it must've been you who contacted me about my Fabulous Fake 'Zippy' half hood....

I find it can be useful, but it's been a pain in the rear for the zips coming undone at speed, so I've modified it now with two velcro tab peices which hold the zips shut.

Here are some pix for anyone who hasn't already seen this idea.

here

here

here

here

here

here

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds..ooooh hooo hooo!!...

😬 😬Abbey Road Time-Machine *eek* *eek*