Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Full weather V Aero screen

The Boy

I'm thinking of adding the option of both full weather and interchangeable deflector kit.

Is it worth having both or is it a pain to swop them over. My use will be road and the occasional track day.

Any advice is welcome - many thanks.

Thanks to all for your advice - Is there a noticable differenc in performance with the aero? Is a helmet needed when using it? Does anyone have any picture showing the changeable brackets?

Many thanks again.

Edited by - The Boy on 17 Dec 2006 12:28:12

I have both.

For longer trips, I use the screen.

For summer blatting, the Aero. *thumbup*

There is a interchangable aero bracket kit from Caterham, which when fitted, makes changing to/from my RiF aero very easy.

It takes about 10 minutes.

Only dead fish go with the flow....

I think they are about £15 a side.

They fit behind the knee panel, so you have to remove this.

Remove two nuts each side, which hold the scuttle down, remove windscreen, fit brackets (which have captive nuts).

You will also want to sort out an electrical connector for the heated windscreen while you are at at.

Knowley,

You can get the brackets that have captive nuts fitted on. I believe these form part of the interchangable aero kit, but you can get them separately.

These go on the scuttle to tub join behind the knee panel.

Renove the two nuts either side, place the brackets on, and align windscreen/aero.

Tighten up the nuts, refit the knee panels.

You won't have to remove the knee panels again *smile*

I have done a year with full screen and was thinking about aero for next year. I do not want to wear a helmet but I am getting to hear more and more tails of woe. Others sing it’s praised of increased speed and above all increased freedom. Have the latter just been hit by too much rain (over 50 mph) or something harder? I guess that we are all different and have to try it for ourselves. Its just has the possibility of being an expensive mistake.

Can anyone help with this dilemma?

Blue Heaven

I would say you have to try it yourself. On the one hand I love the wind in yer face, on the other I hate the stones and grit in yer face. It can be very tiering on longer journies keeping your head up, but It's much more involving with an areo screen. I had a near miss with a bird, so decided helment was the way forward, which is APITA all the time. I always sprint and track day with tthe aero. all IMHO. It does not have to be an expensive mistake, just remove the screen and try it. Much the same as aeroscreen.

RED 2.0 HPC 230BHP *thumbup* *smile*

• Area Representative

Although just removing the windscreen means all the cr*p from the other cars pelts you - its surprising how many tiny bits of grit pelt you without a windscreen. Using an aeroscreen helps generate an airflow which pushes the bits up over your head, well the little bits that is!

Mike, ask around and see if anyone can lend you one or take you for a run in their aeroscreened car. Shame you weren't closer to me otherwise I could have lent you a Brooklands set that switches over in a few minutes.

Cheers

Nick

Now the Orange HPC - A 2.0 VX - 😬

For long journeys, I always use a full screen, and will probably use my half hood, as it reduces the buffetting, so makes it less tiring.

For local blatting, if the weather is nice, I tend to use the aeroscreen.

It takes 10 minutes to change (once the car is all set up with the new brackets) so I now have greater freedom, as I have the option of both.

Certainly a case of try before you buy, as you may not like it.

Nick

Yeah that would be a hell of a blat. Thanks for the thought. I'll see what i can blag at the club meet. I guess that removing the screen and going out with nothing may be like being sand blasted but it could still give an idea of what it was like if everyone at the club has gone back to screens.

Blue Heaven

Mike

I have an aero as well as a full screen and regularly swap between the two of them (mainly because I use the full screen for sprints (lower class than an aero) and aero for blatting in the summer (and winter).

The car feels much faster without the full screen and you definitely notice the loss of the 'air brake' when coming off the throttle. It is noticeably quicker to accelerate above 70mph too. Yes, the grit thrown up from cars in front is noticeable, but it just encourages you to stay away driving too close (which is not a bad thing anyway).

For long drives (e.g. Spa) I put the screen back on as it gives more protection, and you can put the roof on - although I was spotted driving past Brussels with the roof off in the pouring rain... You can always take the aero with you and switch back when you get there.

Steve