Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CR500's fab in wet.

neilg

Just returned from middle of Exmoor this morning to Leicestershire . It rained from the off for the first 50 miles on the moor and upto the M5 ( nice!!). This is my first really long distance blat in the rain in the Seven and I have to say those CR500's were brilliant, loads better than I thought they would be at clearing standing water and gripping on autuminal leafy moor lanes. Got soaked obviously from under door area as I was top off but the whole experience not bad at all . Tonneau a right bugger to do up as it seemed to have shrunk abit when wet as I had left the car outside in the hotel car park. I was getting some *confused* looks from people in their tin tops . Didn't see one seven in over 500 miles of driving these last three days. Where are you all????????.Oh yeah did over 30 mpg ..1.6ss spec k series. *thumbup*

I find the same problem with hood - it shrinks at the slightest sign of rain so can only put it on when its dry!? *eek* *confused*

In Belgium I had to pull over and half fasten it on then drive slowly to nearest (covered) car park to let it dry out for 15 mins before getting it on properly!

---

this is a local sig for local people!

Didn't even attempt the hood as I know it's a phaff on a warm day and i thought i'd get all steamed up . Full cage as well so too much of a palava. Surprised the tonneau shrunk so much though..couldn't do it up once I'd undone it to put some luggage away. Also forgot to do the velcro bits on the hood bag so it nearly shot off sidewards at the first roundabout...looked abit of a t**t . 🙆🏻

I only thought about mentioning the cr500's today because my car came on them in June already part worn. Since then I have done 2500 miles on them and two trackdays .The rears were shot so I pondered changing to Yoho 48 as they are a fair bit cheaper. Really glad I didn't as I probably would have found it abit tricky today in all the standing water on Exmoor and M5. Had no aquaplaning and the car felt solid and not on tippy toes like I thought.

I was driven around a rain soaked Snetterton (standing water in many places) by Austin Kinsella in Richard Ince's R500 shod with ACB10s.

Incredible drive and fantastic fun ... 45 degrees all the way round Corum steering on the throttle *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

I have only ever aquaplaned once, straight country road... lots of water on road..... back end went for a jig..... 😬 yep CR500's lost my nerve with them a bit in the rain after that.... but Loved'em in every other situation.... *smile* *smile*

David

GF04RCE.... every day is a Caterham day!!!! He heee!!... pictures here. Problem is every day seems to be a GT4 day too...!!!

• Area Representative
ACB's are great in the wet as Peter said. Look at the times from Longcross 1 were the FTD was on acb 10's and the 2nd place was on full race wets.

i sold my cr500 as i thought they were por in the wet. landow 2005 was wet and the chaps on stunners were much quicker than anyone on CR500.

Yes, but FTD at Longcross on ACB10's (April 2006), and FTD at a very wet Llandow on Stunners (August 2005) were set by the same car and driver (Andy Griffiths) combination. Maybe it's the driver, not the tyres 🤔

The first time I sat in the passenger seat of Griff's old VX was at a very wet Oulton park, on ACB10's - it felt very progressive and controlable from where I was, and he often turned and grinned following long and controlled drifts 😬

I think driving in the wet is more about smooth technique and confidence.

Edited by - Richard Price on 17 Nov 2006 18:01:16