Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tech Forum - Review of Classes 2 & 3

Mark Durrant

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he was suprised at my lack of speed through the corners and could hear the tyres squealing from miles back!

TBH around Brands the Stunners were hopeless......I'd guess 15-20mph slower through most fast corners...Not fun when running in red group *thumbup*>

Adrian loaned me a set of CR500's which allowed me to run with Dave TM Nelson on slicks....seemingly similar levels of grip. I'd say by feel, having played on the Indy on SS 32's the CR500's are not quite as sticky...

Dannyboy *tongue*

Edited by - Dannyboy on 15 Nov 2006 16:44:28

I believe you were on A24 compound ACB's Rob.......Adrian and David suggested these were giving you considerably more grip *tongue* *tongue* *tongue*

As for David driving slowly....errr.....I think the competitor in David would not allow that..... 😬 😬 The old shed did well to hold onto his coat tails *wink*

Dannyboy *tongue*

Just to get my last 2 pennyworth in before the weekend and trying to pull together a variety of different issues.

My concern about ACB 10's is not about banning them as such, it is much more about removing a mental barrier to entry for newcomers. I can only accept the comments that they are perfectly OK road tyres it must have been the set up on my car that made it so skittish on the road.

Fully accept that 5-10 BHP in either direction is not the defining success factor, so we should not legislate the power equivalence in classes to the nth degree, equally if there was a BHP class structure a rolling road proof of power should be good enough to cover this variation.

Whilst some of the other major performance assisting variables have been mentioned (Shocks etc), whilst removing much of the development fun it is of course not unknown for Caterham series to be incredibly tightly contolled (look a the minuteae of the race series regs)

Fully agree with the comments about better coverage in Low Flying, maybe we could all help out with a short article on our personal experiences.

We should definitely lobby Caterham about inclusion into the Caterham motorsport area, we may not spend as much as the racers but Caterham ought to have a vested interest in promoting all competitive uses of their products.

Other thoughts, as there is a fair amount of good hearted banter on Blatchat between local areas, would some kind of informal inter area competition add any extra interest and more casual competitors?

Are there any possibilities of external sponsorship to perhaps subsidise new entrants? (association of hill climb schools? as well as the normal commercial suspects)

Not sure about the ratio between scoring rounds and full championship, if I was serious 7-8 weekends a year would not be a problem for me personally, but clearly it is for many and it does increase the on costs. The range of venues this year I thought was fantastic, although as Shelsley proved as an invited club we may not always get the spaces we would like.

Whilst I have been guilty of pondering how to attract more new competitors, we should not do so at the expense of the more competitive amongst us. I guess there are many one make clubs who would be delighted to have what remains a pretty well supported championship where the competition is to such a high standard that the current regs have allowed.

Grahame

Whilst I have been guilty of pondering how to attract more new competitors, we should not do so at the expense of the more competitive amongst us. I guess there are many one make clubs who would be delighted to have what remains a pretty well supported championship where the competition is to such a high standard that the current regs have allowed.

*thumbup*