Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CF prop shaft - first impressions

Marius

One of my last years upgrades was a carbon fibre propshaft from CTG. Not sure about it´s strength before I can now confirm that I couldn´t manage to break it yet... Some racing, some track days, a few 0-60s, no sign of a ripped propshaft. My Cat has 280BHP (VX of course... 😬), 6 speed sequential box, running on Michelin slicks.

Now that I couldn´t rip it apart yet it´s all down to it´s long term strenght probably. Hope it´s gonna last a few years now but until further experiences I can only vote *thumbup* for the CTG propshaft.

We have sold several this year and everyone has been very impressed 😬 I am away at the moment so can't give figures but prop is roughly half the weight. Think it is carbon prop 2.2 kg and standard prop 4.0 kg. The ends are in alloy and can be made to fit most gearboxes including the Elite. We are the distributor for CTG for the Caterham propshaft 😳 (perhaps I should not say that on here and just say look in Lowflying advert *wink*)

RiF Flying even faster in my very bright yellow 226bhp Duratec 7, with internal kevlar/carbon panels and pushrod suspension 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon

It is a 45% weight saving (1.8kg) and they look great 😬. Prices depend on gearbox and not engine / car. If it is a standard 6 speed then look on my web site for a price, at the top of the list, as I am travelling back to UK. In office tomorrow and can give anyone additional tech reasons why you should have one of these beautiful pieces of art *wink*. I am now thinking of making glass internal panel sides *wink*

RiF Flying even faster in my very bright yellow 226bhp Duratec 7, with internal kevlar/carbon panels and pushrod suspension 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon

Edited by - RiF on 19 Sep 2006 07:05:01

Andy you are correct. One solution we have done is a flat sheet of carbon or even better kevlar underneath the propshaft area to be 99.9% sure. Although this does not stop a mechanic *wink*

Details:

Prop is 2.2 kg against 4kg. Based on standard gearbox and diff fittings. The ends are on ally except the input shaft into the gearbox which is the standard steel version.

CTG state: Improved torque transfer, reduced wear in transmission, minimises shock loads, reduced rotational inertia which leads to improved acceleration *wink*, braking and gear-shifting.

An excellent upgrade so long as you don't let your other half know the price *wink* 😬

CTG reckon it will last the length of time the car would so long as it is not heavily hit by stones.

Available now but there is a delay as I am out of our high temp resin at the moment. At the start of my web site you will see one on my seven, tested throughout the summer 😬, well someone has to *wink*

• 7 months later...