Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Arch Vs Caged Fia bar

Miura

It appears to me that the single diagonal Arch FIA Bar is much more popular than the double diagonal Caged FIA Bar *confused*

Is there any real reason for this?

is one better than the other?

Is the single diagonal still available new (I know I can phone CC but somebody here will know *smile*

*thumbup*

CC are still stocking the Arch FIA, I picked up one for my XFLOW yesterday after waiting since may for them to get them in. Personally I think CC were expecting to get CAGED ones in but have now reversed their decision for 'older' cars.

Must say not sure why they insist on selling the FIA with the petty strut, not all of us need that as well, it just seems a way of inreasing the costs. Surely it would be better to sell that as a seperate item ????

Get In , Sit Down, Shut Up, Hang On. :-)

Working next door to Caterham Cars is getting expensive .........

You get the Petty Strut as you're buying an FIA bar, and it's only FIA approved with the strut.

AIUI, the original FIA bar is made to the min tube sizes in the MSA blue book, but a bar can also comply by design and test methods, which I think is how the Caged ones are lighter. I was told that my Caged Roadsports cage weighs no more than the old FIA bar, but is significantly stronger.

Cheers

Tom

FH54WLX - only the car supports ManU, honest!

see here - UPDATED

There have been cases of rolls with the strut and without the strut, the bar had done it's job.

There have even been cases of rolls with the non FIA bar's and it did the job.

It all depends on the type of impact / loads put on the equipment.

The cage is def. a good idea see

here

Caterham racing incident, high res 21Mb near the top. Low res further down.

Hants (north) / Berkshire club here

Area meeting pics here

My Racing here

Edited by - stevefoster on 8 Sep 2006 12:12:45

Another big benefit of the twin diagonal new style bar is you can retain your standard boot cover as the tubing diameter is small enough (just) to use the same fabric cut outs. I know as I've just had one fitted and saved a good few bob.

So Miura did you get your radiator/nose cone sorted?

McBreadhead, So what is the diameter of the Caged main and sub tubes?

I understand FIA demands either 45mm dia 2mm wall thickness or 50mm dia 1.5mm wall for the main tubes.

Given the same length the 50mm tube is lighter.

I'm interested in this as it does sound a bit odd the Caged bar being lighter as it's got more tube length, although I suppose being narrower at the top shortened the main tube somewhat. I was thinking of adding a diagonal (or 2) to my SV Caterham bar........

Be interesting if someone would actually WEIGH the things of course....

BY the way, my PTP 210bhp K 1800 motor weighs 75kg, I know this as I weighed it on the bathroom scales the other day. Without flywheel and alternator, leads and water rail admittedly.

By comparison, my Davrian Imp race 1040cc motor weighs 60 kg all in, with carbs, clutch, exhaust, silencer,& airfilters, though it does only make about 120bhp. The race 5 speed box (LSD, straight cut CR Jack Knight) is 30kg.

The car handles very well when it keeps its rear tyres oil free. 😬

Blackout!!!

😬 😬here *eek* *eek*

Edited by - Unclefester on 8 Sep 2006 20:40:18

I was warned when I switched to an aeroscreen that the central mirror would be useless as the view is blocked by the FIA bar. I've got the new Caged double-diagonal one and it turns out that the view through the central mirror (Racetech sourced with aeroscreen from RIF) is perfect just below the crossing point.

I don;t know if this is because the diagonals are narrower or slightly higher than the Arch version, but it's good for me :)

Project BUMBLEBEE lives on!

Hello Site manager....As I've just removed my standard CC rollbar on the SV I thought I'd weigh it.

4.2kg ...but I don't know how to add it to the weights page. Seems very light, but I've no way of checking the wall thickness of the main 45mm diameter tube.

Should be 2mm to be up to FIA standards assuming I weld a diagonal in.

Couldn't find any "add new items" button! *wink*

Blackout!!!

😬 😬here *eek* *eek*

Edited by - Unclefester on 9 Sep 2006 21:40:48