Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CF clams?

Alaskossie

Started but never finished. Still want to but just always more important things. Perhaps I will revitalise the moulds and continue *wink* I like the Clam wings 😬

RiF Flying even faster in my very bright yellow 226bhp Duratec 7, with internal kevlar/carbon panels and pushrod suspension 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon

I would certainly be interested in a pair of CF clams if they were available. I like the traditional look of clams-- and their ability to keep debris out of the cockpit is much better than the cycle wings, in my limited experience. I was looking for something more durable and lighter than the standard CC clams.

alaskossie

One option is to cut big holes in your clams. This used to be popular back in the 80s/early 90s. Cut out big chunks of the glassfibre (up to around a foot square) and fill the spaces with mesh. If painted the same colour as the wing, you should end up with reduced weight and the mesh should keep mud, rain, grit etc away from the cockpit.

Might be worth trying first on an old pair of unwanted clams.

Andy

Thinking even more seriously about restarting *confused* 😬

Must just finish all the moulds for the outerskins, footwells, floor etc first, nearly there 😬 I want to get my new car built this winter *wink*

What is needed to cover the hole on the cam belt cover? Is it simple? Complete cam belt cover unlikely, too expensive for quantity for me.

RiF Flying even faster in my very bright yellow 226bhp Duratec 7, with internal kevlar/carbon panels and pushrod suspension 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon

RiF How are you making the bucks BTW? I've just developed several new panels for my racing Davrians, a double bubble roof, and airscoops which fit on the rear shoulder buttresses and scoop air to carb airbox on right side and a ducted oilcooler on left.

It was a real pain to get the surface just right, and it's a lot of work.....I used clay for the initial buck, then a plaster primary mould, then took a first master and cleaned that up, then made new moulds.

What system are you using?

By the way, the new clams I've put on our TC don't actually look flawless by a long way.....rippley as hell! *eek*

NICE PLATE!!!

😬 😬here *eek* *eek*

Hi all,

You are starting to get me restarted *wink* I started with an old set of clams, added a block of wood (think 35mm *confused*) and then started to add filler to reshape the clam. Got that far *wink* Then started looking at vents, aerodynamics etc and got side tracked. As to our process I am unsure how we would best make them. Our new procedure based on a sort of pre-preg system developed further can at last do compound curves but the clams are large and I may just go really basic and handlaminate. It depends on numbers. New processes take time but will see. 😬 Let me first finish all the moulds I have just started then we will see.

PS Keep reminding me *wink*

• 2 weeks later...

Also i presume carbon fibre flares would have a much smoother underside to them? I have never liked the ruff underside of my fibreglass flares looks, they look a bit cheap 😳

So i too would like CF flares if they had a smooth underside *thumbup*

All miles and :)

Martyn