Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Is there an alternative speedometer that uses a wheel speed sensor?

rgrigsby

But still fits in the 80mm hole in the dash? I'm getting fed up with chewing through angle drives and the steady drip from the gearbox seal so I'm wondering if there an alternative 80mm odometer that will run of a stack style wheel sensor? (Stack don't make one!)

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Edited by - rgrigsby on 21 Jun 2006 21:36:28

Not really the reply to the question but I used one from Speedy Cables. A search should find them easy enough.

They supplied a sensor that counted the four prop shaft bolts but not doubt they would have a logic that would work on a wheel.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 230bhp Sausage delivery machine

Try greengauges they are part of CAI here, I had the same problem and speedo eventually stopped working. I had one made to match the existing speedo by sending to them with the order, down side it takes about four weeks.

You can get an electronic replacement for the angle drive, a wheel sensor or a propshaft sensor. The other good thing is the speedo is completely adjustable which ever gear ratio and wheel/tyre size you can get the speed to within 1% which is good by Caterham standard.

Andy

VDO make a 80mm speedo which uses a Stack-like sensor on the front wheel and which isn't too bad a match for existing instruments.

The speedo is easily programmable for wheel revs/mile sensed via the four disc mounting bolts on the front hub.

I bought the speedo from Merlin Motorsport and a sensor (530293) from Farnell and its worked fine for the last two years.

Yes

Mine was from Speedy cables who are owned by Smiths and Ca.... (can't remember name), they make them for CC. I got one to my spec to match the CC dials but run off front wheel sensor. BUT beware dip switch settings are right to left, cost me and Mic hours!

RiF Flying even faster in my very bright yellow 226bhp Duratec 7, with internal kevlar/carbon panels and pushrod suspension 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon

• 2 months later...

Following on from my current struggles to get the broken speedo drive quill out, the idea of going for an alternative speedo driven by wheel/propshaft sensors is becoming quite appealing, especially as I have the old non-adjustable speedo and want to switch to 13" wheels soon...

John, I wondered how you were getting on with the propshaft bolt proximity sensor, and if you found an easy way to mount it.

Would also be interested in any other feedback on the greengauges.com speedo.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Not quite what you want but I have a SPA digital speedo which runs off a magnet glued to front brake disc and sensor cable tied to wing bracket.

The speedo is backlit green measures aprox 1" wide by about 3/4" high. You can see it on the pictures of my dash on "full story" link or look it up on Demon Tweeks.

The 80mm route is probably better and may be cheaper though.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven to The French Blatting Company Limited