Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Steve Day and Lindsay Mercer at Shelsley Walsh

jingars

My two elder sons (9 and 10) and I visted Shelsley Walsh for the first time yesterday (Saturday).

Some lovely machinery was on display in the paddock and, whether they wanted to or not, the two above-named gentlemen spent a lot of time describing how things worked to my boys. Steve in particular was most generous with his time, allowing the boys to sit in the car and generally nose around.

Steve was such a hit that whilst spectating at the start line I found that I was talking to myself and the boys had scarpered. I eventually found them back in the paddock with Steve, pestering him with more questions!

A search suggests that these gents do not post on Blatchat much, so if anyone frequenting here knows them and could pass on a message, please tell them that they made the day for two little kids (and one big kid).

...great feedback thanks!! *thumbup* *thumbup* it's nice to know that the boys enjoyed themselves. It was a real pleasure to chat to them...and I can report that they were most interested in Se7ens and so I was singing the praises of Caterhams (better than Morgans obviously!!) - I reckon it's best to get them hooked young! *cool*

I remember being in and around cars and going to watch racing with my dad and the memory has always stayed with me, hopefully the lads will be keen to come along and watch again! *wink*

Cheers

Steve

Glad the boys enjoyed their day.

It's great to see such total, unbounded enthusiasm.

One small note of discord though - couldn't they have slowed Steve down a bit more? It's all very well waving like mad when we're on our way back down the hill, but you're really going to have to train them to wave harder when Steve is going up the hill. After all, at my age and in my condition, I need all the help (fair or not) that I can get.................... *wink*

Next weekend is Loton Park, so how about treating them to another great hill? I'm there on Saturday, single handedly upholding the honour of 7's in a field of Westies while Steve should be there on Sunday (with Ken Evens & Tim Cross?).

TTFN

Lindsay

The word 'dog' never bit anybody...........

Lindsay,

The boys did start waving at cars on the way up, so we had to explain to them that they shouldn't do it - we didn't want drivers being distracted by a group of "YTS Marshalls".

We are off to nose around at Curborough this coming Saturday, so I am afraid that Loton will have to wait until another time.

Best of Luck against the massed ranks of the Stormtroopers from The Dark Side!

Jon.

Del - how nice to hear from you dear boy!

I certainly shall be doing my bit at Curby on Sunday (as well as Loton on Saturday).

Does this enquiry mean that we'll be seeing you in the mud wrestling bath that has passed for the paddock this year?

The word 'dog' never bit anybody...........