Click here if you are having website access problems ×

LSD oil - How much?

Mike Molloy

When my ZF LSD came back from R&RT Phil included a liter of gen-U-ine Ford LSD oil. I bunged that in, but I was wondering how much it should actually take? Is a litre enough?

Once upon a time I remember Derek Moore (then supremo of Caterham Midlands) saying that "we are in the habit of over-filling the diffs" but I can't remember why or by how much.

Anybody have a good rule of thumb?

When asking about what diff oil to use, Phil (R&R) supplied me with one litre of plate type lsd diff oil (a Ford part for LSD equipped Capris I believe) which wasn't quite enough, so down to Fords for a second litre of the same for around £8. I think as soon as its full it will start coming out the filler hole anyway and any excess will just come out beneath the boot floor through the breather.

New Cat - That sounds like a good deal.

I went what I thought was the 'safe' route and picked up diff oil from Caterham 1 Ltr of 'standard' Caterham / Comma EP 90 diff oil about £6 and a tube of the addertive £10

I only did this because when I went to my local 'good' motor parts shop and told them the chassis plate on my car say's HD 95 / 140 and they did not have this exact ratio.

NB I noticed on the addretive tube that the company was formed 1991 and my car is 1989. Things have obviously moved on !

Richard

I think over filling is only recomended on the Ital axle to help combat oil starvation caused by oil surge then cornering hard. some ital live axles had another filler hole fitted higher up on the diff.

If you have a Dedion, I cant see much point in over filling, as the oil doesnt surge like a live axle, theres no axle or half shaft for it to run down.

Edited by - blade_runner on 9 Apr 2006 12:45:59