Click here if you are having website access problems ×

bulk buyPipercross now do an airbox @£165 for the R3/4/500

Jason Plato

Dave - It's a VHPD with throttle bodies presently running short trumpets. I'll have to have a closer look at an R300 to compare clearances.

Culd be interested in a bulk buy of the Pipercross at that price - I assume this excludes a backing plate?

It's not pink, it's medium red violet...!

Franky,

Very interested..... *smile*

1-Could you clarify if this will fit a K / Jenvey set up on std injectors?

2-Having not seen on in the fleah I assume the integral filter is the panel type hence the restriction on internal depth - could this be removed and replaced by a cone filter in order to fit longer trumpets ?

I'm sure there are a few more Jenvey's runners thinking the same at the moment

Thanks

The integral filter is a cone inserted into the 100mm inlet . I imagine trumpet length is determined by the internal depth of the airbox @ 100mm . Maximum trumpet length is therefore in the order of 60mm ish ?.

here is C7 TOP

Powered by Special K, Tweeked by this lunatic here

South Wales AO *thumbup*

Thought I'd post this here to stop cluttering the Bulk Buy thread.

Hiya, I've done some investigating with Piper. Blank PX600 baseplate part no is C6006. I have KV6 TB's too, seems like a solution to Sforshaw's problem on the other thread and anyone else with non-standard fittings on their TB's. A machine shop could sort the correct fitting for you. You could measure your TB centres between 2 and 3 inlets apparently, but it seems unlikely they'll supply one ready made to your specific size. I will have a better look at my current backplate tonight, but I think the trumpets etc can be taken off and attached to a new baseplate no problem fingers crossed 😬

Piper's no has changed from that link on the BB page btw Franky - it's now 01604 707750

Edited by - Chris__ on 1 Mar 2006 12:52:17

Hello swan-neck TBers. I've had a butchers, sent an email to Pipercross and will see what they get back to me with tomorrow. If you want to see what you think, I've taken some photos tonight: here here here

here

Looking at it, I think you could drill some strategic holes as necessary, get some bits cut out and place it over the above current plate and it would work fine. Thoughts anyone?

Cheers,

Chris.

• Leadership Team

Maybe you're right Chris in that it would be better to retain the old backplate complete, and cut a sizeable hole in a new C6006 plate, to then be bonded/bolted/rivetted to the orignal plate. IIRC there may be issues using the original trumpets if the plate is not also retained?

Stu.

Raising teenagers is like nailing jelly to a tree 😬

• Leadership Team

Or .........

Cut all the relavent holes and also a central hole in the C6006 to clear the throttle mechanism, then sandwich the new plate between the original backplate and the TBS. This would give a tidier finish and enclose all the old kit inside the new airbox. It would maybe be necessary to trim a little from the outside edge of the plate though to fit inside the airbox?

Stu

Raising teenagers is like nailing jelly to a tree 😬

Pipercross have confirmed that the C6100 airbox is still 78mm deep, suitable for rampipes up to 45mm. All that changes is that a different filter holder (75mm or 100mm) is attatched to the same basic airbox.

Worth checking if you were hoping for a deeper box.

Pukka Tossa

Edited by - Jamie Oliver on 2 Mar 2006 09:30:15

• Leadership Team

Dave:

I went to the Hisoric motorsport show on Sunday and Pipercross had on the stand an airbox suitable for the R3/4/500 with 100mm internal depth , making it suitable for the Caterham fitment . Previously the box has only been available in 70mm depth

Jamie:

Pipercross have confirmed that the C6100 airbox is still 78mm deep, suitable for rampipes up to 45mm. All that changes is that a different filter holder (75mm or 100mm) is attatched to the same basic airbox.

Worth checking if you were hoping for a deeper box

maybe we need to clarify things a little *confused*

Stu.

Yes - I just spoke to Pipercross technical and they also confirmed that the air box is only avaiable in 78mm depth - this must have been a misunderstanding of mine on the stand at the show with the airbox on display,in that they meant it has a 100mm inlet and not the 100mm internal depth ☹️ . Sorry *smile*

However ......... 78mm is still fine on the R3/4/500 45mm long trumpets and DVA has a box out soon for longer trumpts *thumbup*

The depth of the box may create reflective pulses that actually boost the power at certain points of the rev range - as seen with my airbox last year . OR the airbox may actually reduce power at certain points of the rev range - as seen this year following some modifications to the inlet length etc .

The conclusion I now hold is that each and every engine setup has a potentially different reaction to an airbox . The only way to determine the effect is to do a back to back test on the dyno or rollers.

I now hold 2 ecu maps - one for "full noise and power" and the other for airbox .

For occasional track use at quiet venues there wont be an issue - the airbox is needed so it has to be used *smile*

• 1 year later...

Just for peoples interest I bought one of these Pipercross airboxes from Burton Power last week. It fits perfectly onto the R500 rollerbarrels, with no particular stress or strain on it. However the airbox isn't that deep so there can't be much clearance between the end of the (standard) trumpets and the airbox wall.

My car needs a few more days work on it before I can start it so I'll have to wait a while to see how the airbox works. I'll then be off for a rolling road session. I'll hoping to map with the airbox in situ, see what power that gives, and then have a run with a normal airfilter to see if the airbox is causing any loss/gain of power

As mentioned a few times before...

I've got this box on my car. I've glued and bolted (only the paranoid survive) the backplate to the top of trumpets in order to gain maximum clearance. Works a treat and reduces noise a fair bit!